Removing Casualties - shutting out future attacks

Husslehoff

Question

Hi all, 

Probably a basic one, but came up in a game and I can't seem to find a phrase in the rules to confirm either way. 

In the attached image, the Lumineth Wardens have attacked the Blightkings and killed three. The Nurgle player removes the three casualties highlighted in red. 

The Elves normally have the option to attack again, and as such would normally attack with the Dawnriders, but because of the casualty removal, they are now out of range. As they have been picked to fight, they can Pile in 3". What happens if that "Pile in" does not reach the Blightkings, are they locked out of fighting?

image.png.4d052dc88a4de9ebb313515cf3874137.png

choose files... Click to choose files

5 answers to this question

If they are within 3" of an enemy unit, or have made a charge move in the same turn, they can pile in, and then, if their weapons are in range of an enemy unit, they must attack. If not, and your opponent removes models before it's the Rider's turn to attack, they cannot pile in and attack as they no longer have a valid target within 3".

If the unit fights with multiple weapons, the opponent cannot deny one set of weapons by removing models as they're removed after all attacks have been made.

Just for clarification, if the Dawn riders charged, they can still pile in 3" even if they wont be able to reach the blightkings (but can only attack if they reach them). If they did not charge then they can only pile in if they are still within 3" of the blightkings.

1 hour ago, Dankboss said:

If the unit fights with multiple weapons, the opponent cannot deny one set of weapons by removing models as they're removed after all attacks have been made.

I'm sure all attacks are resolved at the same time. From the core rules (as shown in the app). 

'ALLOCATING WOUNDS
Once all of a unit's attacks have been resolved, add up the damage that was inflicted. The player commanding the target unit must then allocate a number of wounds to the target equal to the damage that was inflicted.'

So you cannot remove between attacking with multiple weapons by a single unit.

I can see the argument being made though because a page earlier it says resolve all attacks of one type of weapon and then the next type of weapon if a unit has multiple types of weapon. However you resolve your attacks by the steps: Hit roll, wound roll, save roll, determine damage. It's in the box called MAKING ATTACKS in the core rules.
The allocating comes afterwards when all attacks have resolved by the attacking units as per the quote above. 

(FYI: the rest of your answer is spot on)

38 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I'm sure all attacks are resolved at the same time. From the core rules (as shown in the app). 

'ALLOCATING WOUNDS
Once all of a unit's attacks have been resolved, add up the damage that was inflicted. The player commanding the target unit must then allocate a number of wounds to the target equal to the damage that was inflicted.'

So you cannot remove between attacking with multiple weapons by a single unit.

That is exactly what the guy you quoted said, not sure why you quoted and argued with him. 🤣

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Falkman said:

That is exactly what the guy you quoted said, not sure why you quoted and argued with him. 🤣

Wait... what. Either there is some sneaky editing going on or I just had a big dyslectic spike😅😂

probably the second. My bad he’s right. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1