2,000 point Tomb King list

Mengel Miniatures

Hi, I'm trying to put together a Tomb King list for the Michigan GT at the end of September. I tested out the list below last night and it didn't do so well.

Leaders
Settra The Imperishable (360)
High Queen Khalida (120)
Necrotect (100)
Liche Priest (120)
Tomb Herald (100)
Tomb King (100)

Units
Skeleton Chariots x 3 (140)
Skeleton Warriors x 30 (240)
Tomb Guard x 10 (160)
Carrion x 3 (80)
Skeleton Archers x 20 (200)

Behemoths

War Machines
Screaming Skull Catapult (120)

Batallions

Total: 1980/2000

I'm thinking of switching it up to one of these two: 

Leaders
Tomb King (100)
Tomb Herald (100)
Necrotect (100)
Liche Priest (120)

Units
Tomb Guard x 10 (160)

Behemoths
Necrosphinx (400)

War Machines

Batallions

or

Leaders
Necrotect (100)
Liche Priest (120)
Tomb Herald (100)
Tomb King (100)

Units
Tomb Guard x 10 (160)

Behemoths
Bone Giant (200)

War Machines

Batallions

I like the archers, so I'm hesitant to switch them out for the Sphinx but there's not doubt it's a good choice. The bone giant would also be quicker for me to paint and people might underestimate it while everyone will be scared of the Sphinx.

Settra's buffs apply to all Death models, but gives an extra buff to Deathrattle as well, hence the tone skeletons.

Thoughts?

Do you have Necropolis Knights? If so, they are amazing (as you probably know).

I'm doubting the effectiveness of righteous smiting plus archers now since it's been hard nerfed by the rule of one (compared to SCGT pack); and you can no longer try to cast it on multiple units. Unmitigated filth Savage Orruk Archers are way more powerful now.

Were you using the rule of one? 

The 20 Archers get 40 shots, hitting on 3+, half of these attacks will trigger righteous (and that's it).

So 40 shots, plus another 20 is 60 shots, of which 40 actually hit. Half of these wound, so 20 save rolls. Obviously very decent, just not what they used to be under SCGT. 

I definitely like the second list to be honest. You have the double whammy of a sphinx and settra. If they don't hit the sphinx early it will rampage across the field all game, but if they do, there is no way they stop settra. Make sure you have a caster to heal the sphinx if need be too

I'm looking forward to seeing how your TK perform.  I was so salty when AoS launched that I shelved my TK and only recently started pulling them out of boxes to possibly sell.  I set everything up to catalogue and take pictures and am now having second thoughts!  I really do love this army and have easily over 300 models so I would hate to get rid of them and start over.  

@UncleMeat  Have you fielded them in AoS yet? TK are one of the strongest factions. I would say they're the strongest of the legacy factions by far. Great synergies, and Necro Kngihts at 160 points for 3 is just insane. I don't know how people are taking 12 of them (probably because they dont have them...)

The Sphinx is arguably the most powerful monster in the game, Settra is a real badass (though a bit of a paper tiger), scorpions are fantastic, chariots are pretty solid when combo'd right, and skeletons are great for holding objectives. Overall I think they're really impressive

I haven't fielded them in AoS, the change from 8th ed coincided with me moving and I was super irritated with the big change in the game so they have just been in boxes.  The city I am in now doesn't seem to have much of a WHF/AoS crowd, I am definitely going to try to get some games in with them now that I am getting the itch again.  

@unclemeat.. I too shelved my tombies after AoS came out. But I played with them last week and absolutely annihilated my opponents storm cast. So they are still a very viable army. 

But, if you do decide to sell then drop me a line.

@Mengel Miniatures i like the second army as well. The Sphinx is great and I agree that between it and settra your opponents won't know which to try and take first. I'd bait them with the Sphinx first to give settra the best chance possible. 

I really like the second list, especially because if you use the WarSphinx to catch all the attention, it will allow the rest of your army to play with more freedom!

But I also like the third list! It's really strong! Probably the strongest, but without a big monster.

A good mix between the 2 list could be with a khemrian warsphinx! I don't know if you have it, but it might be a good solution between the Bone Giant and the WarSphinx, and really important...is a deathrattle as well!!!! but you should sacrifice 80 point to have it...5 tomb guard? And if you have the archers, the catapult and the khemrian warsphinx, all with missile weapons, you might want to chose Queen Khalida instead of the Tomb King.

Something like that:

Leaders
Necrotect (100)
Liche Priest (120)
Tomb Herald (100)
Queen khalida (120)

Units
Tomb Guard x 5 (80)

Behemoths
khemrian warsphinx (280)

War Machines

Batallions

Total: 2000/2000

What do you think?

regardless of the list that you choose, you will do well!
good luck and let us know how it goes! Bring up the honor of the Tomb kings!

This is my likely TK list going forward:

1 x Settra the Imperishable (1)

1 x Liche Priest (1)

1 x Tomb King (1)

1 x Tomb King (1)

1 x Necrotect (1)

1 x Necromancer (1)

2 x Necropolis Knights (6)

1 x Skeleton Chariots (3)

1 x Skeleton Chariots (3)

1 x Skeleton Horsemen (5)

1 x Necrosphinx/Mourngul (1)

Total

It uses the familiar Dan Ford "cannon approach" of firing in a single unit at a time to demolish a multiple of its cost, while everything else stays back. Settra does come forward someway to stay in range.

Said cannonball unit has +3 to hit; +1 to wound; rerolls 1s to wound; righteous smiting on 3s to hit; and Vanhel's Danse Macabre - brutal!

@Mengel Miniatures Do like your approach of "nor rushing painting" just to get a punchier list! But for future reference, I've got to echo what others said about necroknights. They are awesome. Only reason I'm not playing with all my nine knights is because it's to filthy. Saving that for when somebody puts down "that" list... :) 

Of the lists your thinking about I'd vote for the third one. I think skeleton archers are really good. haven't tried the bone giant. But actually I think the list you've been trying out is the best one of the three. Just one question, do you need Khalida and a TK? if you where sporting 40+ archers then yeah, sure. But with 20 of them in one unit? I've played with 30 archers and a TK and that is just awesome. Not to mention that the TK can use his ability on other units if that is needed. 

Just for reference (and to hijack your thread hehe) this is what I'm playing next time. Previous games I left the sphinx at home and instead more horse archers but I think 30 skeletons covers the shooting pretty well on their own. (do note, I'm not that a good player but I've only lost 2 of 20-isch games with TK in AoS; Tomb kings do pack a punch!)

Tomb King (100)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: ?
Liche Priest (120)
Liche Priest (120)
Tomb Herald (100)

Units
Skeleton Chariots x 3 (140)
Skeleton Chariots x 3 (140)
Skeleton Warriors x 30 (240)
Skeleton Archers x 30 (300)
Necropolis Knights x 6 (320)
Skeleton Horse Archers x 5 (140)

Behemoths
Khemrian Warsphinx (280)

Total: 2000/2000

@RatatatataI usually do use the Tomb King's ability on other units, generally my chariot bomb which will get buffed by the King, Necrotect, possible the Priest, Settra, and Settra's fly ability. I may paint up some of my Necroknights for Adepticon in the spring, I should have enough time for that. 

I'm glad to see another skeleton heavy player out there. People are always surprised at how many models I put down on the table.

@Nico I love the Settra bomb, always fun to tell people my chariots can move 23" on the first turn and have an auto 6" charge.

@BlackBass Does Khalida's ability affect the catapult? I asked that at the tournament and I was told no because the catapult is what's firing, not the crew. That seems silly to me since it's clearly the crew firing it, it's not firing on its own. 

I do have a warsphinx, but I would need to build and paint it. I'm starting to think I won't be able to get the Necrosphinx done in time, so I might keep the list I have or try and get the bone giant done.

Does Khalida's ability affect the catapult? I asked that at the tournament and I was told no because the catapult is what's firing, not the crew. That seems silly to me since it's clearly the crew firing it, it's not firing on its own.

Thanks for your comments.

Sadly no it doesn't buff the catapult - it's a keyword driven game. On the other hand imagine if the lame Empire buffs worked on their cannons!

To be honest, the first list really seems to lack a focus. You have Settra, but only the tomb guard to synergize strongly with him, you have Khalida, but only 20 archers and 6 chariots to benefit from her ability, and you have a total of 900 points invested in Leaders which leaves the rest of your army very thin.

The second list looks better, and the third one even more so. The third one is a lot more synergistic than the other ones, due to the inclusion of the Bone Giant. Out of all units in the TK army, Necropolis Knights, Tomb Guard and Bone Giants have the strongest synergies with Settra, and all three of these units synergize greatly with your Necrotect as well. I still think you have too much invested in Leaders - I would advise dropping the Tomb King in favor of some more Tomb Guard since a single unit of 10 is a little frail. I'm also not convinced by the unit of 20 archers. Kill one and they lose half of their damage temporarily - kill 10 (which is easy enough to do) and they will be more or less useless for the rest of the battle.

I also wonder, what are your thoughts on including units from other factions in your TK army? After all, Settra buffs all models with the Death keyword, and there are a whole bunch of units in other factions that just go bananas when within 18" of him (Spirit Hosts, Mortis Engine, Wight King, Mourngul, etc etc...)

The characters actually all work very well together due to Settra letting them all use their command abilities. Stacking My Will Be Done on top of Settra's buff leads to some pretty killy units. The chariots and spearmen synergize very well with Settra too. The spearmen can deliver 90 attacks at full strength, and when buffed is pretty insane. Yes they start losing attacks after just one kill, but no one pays attention to them until they have had the chance to get in there and delete a unit.

The Bone Giant doesn't have the Deathrattle keyword, so actually doesn't work as well with Settra. At 80 points for 5 I find it hard to justify more Tomb Guard, and the Tomb King is such a tank with a 4+ rerollable save, plus I get to take an artifact on him since Settra doesn't get one. 

The archers I may drop, but I have never really had a problem with them losing numbers. If they lose some to shooting they usually regain them before they get to shoot, and if they are in combat they are going to start dying anyway. I will probably add some Necropolis Knights into my list for Adepticon. Khalida I kind of threw in to test and because I had her painted. I didn't want to hurt my painting score at the even with an unpainted model. 

I still have the crew left to paint on 2 chariots I am working on before I can move on to either the Sphinx or the Giant, and the tournament is the first Sunday of October, so it's looking more and more like time constraints will dictate which one of these I work on. 

Archived