Mortal Wounds while attacking vs a variable save

PJetski

Question

If I have an ability that does mortal wounds during an attack roll before saves, do the mortal wounds get allocated immediately, or are they added to the pool of damage to be allocated after save rolls are made and we go into the normal damage allocation phase?

Lets say I shoot with Jezzails against 10 Dryads, and I roll a 6 to hit to deal 2 mortal wounds. Will this remove 2 dryads immediately and thus remove their +1 save bonus from their Impenetrable Thicket ability? Or do they keep the save bonus until the hit/wound rolls are resolved and then allocate the mortal wounds along with the normal wounds after making save rolls?

3 answers to this question

This part of the rules is easy to miss, for sure.I wasn't even aware of this before I noticed there was units whose Save improved by the number of models.

Unlike WH40k, you will not be able to "improve your save" by removing models outside of cover as hits and wounds are allocated so that after the first few models are removed, all remaining models are in cover.

However, after-saves are applied as wounds are allocated to models, so some after-save rules dependent on the unit being "wholly within" can come into effect as you remove models.