Two nurgle 2k lists.

AllanBallan

Hej i am doping two nurgle lists, one pure mortal nurgle and one mixed.

Tell med wich one you think Will perform better in tournaments and why.

List 1, mortal nurgle

Harbringer 

Bloab rotspawned 

10 blightkings 

5 blightkings 

5 blightkings 

5 nurgle knights with glaives 

5 nurgle knights with glaives 

10 chosen 

Plaugetuched warband 

List 2, mixed nurgle 

Glottkin 

Epidemius 

Demon prince of nurgle

Demon prince of nurgle

Plaugeclaw carapult 

Plaugeclaw catapult 

30x plaugebearers 

10x marauders of nurgle

10x marauders of nurgle 

3x plauge drones 

Both of them are underwhelming, but that's Nurgle for you.

The first one is totally reliant on the Harbinger Ward save - when he dies the whole army falls apart. Plus that only has a 7 inch range. Compare this to a Flesh Eaters list with a Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon with Ruler of the Night. 10 inch ward bubble on a 14 wound hero with a ring of immortality plus he's bugging nearby units plus a spell which is reroll wounds aura.

Your list does have the -1 to hit them in combat rule which is nice, but the other huge downside is the lack of punch - you've got the 10 Blightkings to whom you can give +1 to hit with Lord of War. However, this will be telegraphed to your opponent and those Blightkings are movement 4.

None of the other Units pack serious punch. Mostly because of a huge lack of offensive synergy. Chosen are disappointing and easier to kill than regular warriors of chaos. I figure that opponents will just pick off whichever mediocre units you haven't ward saved and then outnumber your core. 

The second list is better - the Plagueclaw Tally combo will work well against horde lists, but The Glottkin is a huge gamble. Far too easy to kill, Command Ability is only marginally better than a Bloodsecrator. Spell is quite good with Plaguebearers.

Thought prosess and Synergies list 1:

I Will have to knep everything tight because of the harbringer. But blightkings Will be hard to kille with ward save and -1 to hit from the formation. This is also true for bloab. And The formation in combination with bloabs possible -1 to hit can give -2 to hit making stuff that hit on 4+ hitting on 6s insted. And as soon as something gets intog combat with blightkings or chosen then i charge in the knights (this Will be my punch units)

List 2

Glottkin making the plaugebearers a great anvil with the +1 wounds spell. And as soon as the tally is maxed they Reroll 1s ro wound and hit. 

Also, When on max tally then the demon princes Will be on 2+ save. And The demon princes are activating the drones mortal wounds and The plaugebearers Reroll 1s to save. 

Any way to improve them lists?

@AllanBallan You really gotta take a second and let what @Nico is telling you sink in. If you are planing on playing dink around with my friends in the garage games then the above lists are fine. And that's really what AoS is really supposed to be about, having fun, casual games with your buds.

Now you say you want to be in tournaments, and that's cool if that's your thing, but what Nico is saying is true: in a tournament context mono Nurgle is as about as hard as a damp paper plate. It doesn't have much range and it doesn't kick out the mortal wound jams. Most of the go-to Mortal wound output in Mortal Nurgle (read: Nurgle's Rot, Virulent Discharge) is dependent on proximity + rolling sixes which you cannot count on. All the buffs count on proximity which means that your Nurgle force will have to move in a tight ball or fall apart. A lot of the the scenarios in the General's Handbook are about objective grabbing, you'll have to move your army outside the bubble of protection to claim objectives and that's assuming that you are lucky enough to get to them in time because your army is slower than really any other.

Those knights are not the hitters you think they are. Especially not when compared to the death dealing units that other armies get. Best case scenario is that you will encounter a player that doesn't know Nurgle's tricks and they allow you to keep your synergies in motion for the first three rounds of the game. Worst case scenario a well read player knows exactly what you are doing and picks apart the special characters that are holding your army together and then mercilessly executes you as your expensive units lose their buffs.

I can tell you all this because I play Mortal Nurgle and it's been very unforgiving. It's a labor of love right now, you gotta hunker down and focus on the awesome hobby projects that Nurgle affords and play some Narrative campaigns with your pals. If you wanna take Nurgle into a tournament scene prepare to be tabled by anyone playing Beastclaw Raiders, Sylvaneth, or really just about any hard hitting army.

All that said, if you want to continue down this path, you might consider looking into a Chaos Warshrine for your Nurgle Mortals. The Warshrine is basically dead points on the board, but it will give you one last save that you can call in.

16 minutes ago, FullMetalRPG said:

[...]

If you wanna take Nurgle into a tournament scene prepare to be tabled by anyone playing Beastclaw Raiders, Sylvaneth, or really just about any hard hitting army.

You sure are painting a doom & gloom picture here.

Look at the results from the latest Alliance tournament run by Ben Curry with 50+ players, and you'll see a mono-Nurgle list in third place consisting of:

2x Great Unclean One
2x 10 and 1x 20 Plaguebearers
2x 6 Plague Drones

So a mono-Nurgle list can surely compete in tournaments, and won't just get tabled against Beastclaw Raiders, Sylvaneth or really any hard hitting army.

2 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

You sure are painting a doom & gloom picture here.

Yeah, I take your point. I went back and reread everything and it is awfully gloomy, I'm about to hit the sack over here in that states and I think that my tiredness is affecting my mood.

I love my Nurgle and I really enjoy playing them, but I do lose a lot. I think that right now Daemons synergize a lot better that Nurgle Mortals however. It's funny, I'm doing some tournament prep and I wrote a list very similar to the one you posted above as a possible, "paint some models really fast" tournament army. At the end of the day however I think I'm just going to stick with my Mortals. Mortals are fun to play as they are slowly being whittled away and while that mono Nurgle list you posted I think will win games I also think it would probably be kind of boring to play.

So a mono-Nurgle list can surely compete in tournaments, and won't just get tabled against Beastclaw Raiders, Sylvaneth or really any hard hitting army.

I'm not sure how much you can take from a 3 game event. Nurgle are a long-popular army so there are some very strong players who play them. You can get good match ups or favourable scenarios or a bunny run in just 3 games. Also this was Daemons rather than Mortal Nurgle.

On 8/20/2016 at 9:35 AM, Nico said:

Chosen are disappointing and easier to kill than regular warriors of chaos.

I've been looking at picking up a few of these myself. I thought the capacity for mortal wounds and having 3 attacks with quite a reliable damage output was nice.

Are they pointed too high? I don't see what makes them disappointing unless it's that they don't feature in any sweet formations as of yet?

They are ok - but kind of jack of all trades.

They do have mortal wound output, but it's relatively weak being on the wound rolls (and there being no reliable way to buff wound rolls - Juggerlords only work on the charge). They are less tough than normal warriors for significantly more points.

Their buff to other units is fiddly, you have to choose your activations on the basis of it (which isn't ideal). I think it's only an 8 inch range too.

A further problem is that they are quite hard to buff significantly - Mortal Chaos command abilities are dreadful and the formations available are poor (or very large - the Everchosen ones). Khorne Chosen are the exception - as they can be readily buffed by Bloodsecrators.

@Nico you should show @AllanBallan the tournament Nurgle list you put together with Archaon. It's not the kind of theme driven list that draws a lot of people to Nurgle, but it will have a shot at tournament play, unlike my 2k Rotbringers tourney list that I present below:

Harbinger of Decay

The Glottkin

Festus the Leechlord

Sorcerer on Steed (MoN)

Chaos Warshrine (MoN)

Blightkings x 5

Blightkings x 5

Blightkings x 10

Warriors of Chaos (MoN) x 10

The tourney has a 500 pt sideboard but with how delicate it is balancing the points trying to get those effing Blightkings to be Battleline I'm just throwing in Orghotts and Bloab as sideboard to swap with the Glottkin if I get bored. I was thinking about 6 chariots instead but then I won a Glottkin on eBay (wasn't anticipating my lowball offer to go through) and so I think I'll just stick with him. The tourney is going to have 6 rounds and cycle through every Battleplan in the General's Handbook so I know objective grabbing/contesting will be a big deal, hence the chariots idea. The rest of it you know how it works. I'm playing the tournament to have fun, no illusions about winning. Anything I could do to tighten this up? (That wouldn't require buying a whole new army, I'm already stretched pretty thin.)

Anything I could do to tighten this up? (That wouldn't require buying a whole new army, I'm already stretched pretty thin.)

Get/borrow a Balewind Vortex to make Festus's debuff spell useful in turn one.

Was it this one?

1 x Plaguetouched Warband (0)

1 x Archaon, the Everchosen (1)

1 x Orghotts Daemonspew (1)

1 x Harbinger of Decay (1)

1 x Blightkings (5)

1 x Blightkings (5)

3 x Marauders (28)

1 x Chaos Warriors (10) Double handed weapons

1 x Chaos Spawn

1 x Varanguard (3)

It's still not great at there's such a variety of speeds in the army. Probably going to just leave the Blightkings and Marauders and Warriors on defence with -1 to hit them in melee (plus the marauders will do mortal wounds to enemies on their 6+ to wound rolls.

Meanwhile Archaon, Orghotts, the Harbinger and the Nurglefied Varanguard will be the harder hitting fast part of the army (and still all with the -1 to hit them defensive debuff). Orghotts can give reroll wound rolls to the Varanguard. They will all have the 5+ ward save.

Another option would be to drop 8 marauders and use the points to change the Blightkings into Nurgle Knights (200 for 5). These could then follow Archaon and friends.

One nice thing is that it's a glorious 2 drops, so quite a good chance of getting to decide who goes first.

However, it's pretty lacking in ranged threat/infiltrators.

Your first list isn't a million miles away from what I like in terms of units.

I find a lot of the comments above very negative but they still have some merit if you're looking to kick some faces in. I think in terms of the games, with points being new, with all the scenarios, alongside the traits and items, there is simply no way of refining it down without playing it alot and making changes along the way. The speed of releases makes this even more difficult but keeps the game fresh.

Chaos knights are great on the charge, and they massively MASSIVELY benefit from +1 to hit if it can be gotten. Its vital to get. I like it from Damned terrain as they can save the wounds through their shields, and it just feels cool.

Blight kings are great. If you can fit the blightguard formation in somehow, its incredible. Characters are virtually interchangeable, but I really really like the Chaos Lord with Nurgle - especially with slave to darkness units. Chosen are expensive and I've never had much success.   

The hardest armies will normally smash everything, so theres little point in trying to beat them. Just put together stuff you like (aesthetically and points), be open to new ideas, get as many games in as possible, and dont go after a netlist (because there isnt one!)

@Nico yeah, that's the list! I think that Allan could benefit from seeing it.  Thanks for the heads up on the Balewind Vortex warscroll! I didn't even know that was a thing. Where so you find points for that?

@Josh Meads Yeah sorry man, not trying to be negative as much as honest. I'm not saying that Rotbringers doesn't have anything at all in it's arsenal, just that you are facing an uphill battle and need to find other outlets inside the hobby that you derive joy from because you aren't going to be winning scads and scads of games. It's a totally fine deal, if you are willing to make it. I also thought that Allan had some misconceptions about what he could expect from some of the units he plans on taking them and how he expects them to work.

Chaos Lord with Nurgle - especially with slave to darkness units.

You know that the summoning command ability version is gone now (replaced by newer warscroll).

Thanks for the heads up on the Balewind Vortex warscroll! I didn't even know that was a thing. Where so you find points for that?

It's free. Zero points. It does involve a bit of a gamble though and your wizard cannot move either.

Archived