Skyvessels: is the crew considered flying as well?

AndyPa

Question

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, AndyPa said:

Hi there,

are the embarged units in a ship  considered as flying as well?
For me it would makes sense, but with GW you never know :-)

Unless the KO book explicitly states otherwise, a unit garrisoned within a Skyvessel won't gain any abilities from that vessel.

What are you thinking about it for?

26 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Unless the KO book explicitly states otherwise, a unit garrisoned within a Skyvessel won't gain any abilities from that vessel.

What are you thinking about it for?

I am thinking about the Awakend Wyldwoods and Overgrown Terrain, where you can only see through if one of the units is flying.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, RuneBrush said:

Probably one that needs to be sent to AoSFAQ@gwplc.com if it's not clarified in the KO battletome (I don't have it to hand) as the garrison rule isn't clear.

image.png.0e973aadfa97fd007c92ad9119e84998.png

Is that... not clear? "The range and visibility to or from a garrisoning unit is determined to or from the terrain feature instead."

Since the "terrain feature" in this case is flying and visibility is determined from it, the garrisoning unit will be able to see through a Wyldwood even though the unit itself cannot fly.

There's no further clarification in the KO battletome, but I don't see how there needs to be.

11 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Is that... not clear? "The range and visibility to or from a garrisoning unit is determined to or from the terrain feature instead."

Since the "terrain feature" in this case is flying and visibility is determined from it, the garrisoning unit will be able to see through a Wyldwood even though the unit itself cannot fly.

There's no further clarification in the KO battletome, but I don't see how there needs to be.

Clarification was needed because the Wyldwood rules was talking about visibility to the model shooting - the ship isn't, it's the garrisoned unit.  I completely agree that logic suggests you measure from the boat!  Most of us would come to exactly that conclusion - but sometimes it's best to have it answered officially to prevent any awkward situations during a game (especially at a tournament)

Clearly GW actually agreed that clarification was needed too because they've actually answered this in the Designers Commentary! 

image.png.264cdb39afde24b44f9ad1a69fb1ee8e.png

8 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Clearly GW actually agreed that clarification was needed too because they've actually answered this in the Designers Commentary! 

Fair enough! I think it's funny that their clarification says the exact same thing as the rule, only with the words "terrain feature" replaced with the word "skyvessel". But it's great that they're dealing with these questions so promptly.