Legion of Grief Battalion Ideas

Bayul

• 2 weeks later...

I've split this out into it's own thread as I felt it really deserved one!

Really liking what you've done with this - super inspirational!

I do have a few suggestions and a few wording tweaks so that they're more similar to the wording on current warscrolls.

One thing I'm not 100% sure on attaching artefacts to the battalions in truth.  It's quite cool, but there's no restriction as to who can wield it, so it almost feels like the battalion comes with a cool widget and gives it to somebody else.

Choir of Desperation

You've missed an M out of Myrmourn

Abilities
Desperate Wail: If a unit of Myrmourn Banshees from this Battalion succeed in dispelling an Endless Spell, they do not suffer any mortal wounds from doing so.

Necromancers and Mortis Engines from this Battalion gain following ability.  Ethereal: Ignore modifiers (positive or negative) when making save rolls for attacks that target
this unit.

Tertpsichorean Murderers

Abilities
Horror in Death: Enemy units within 3" of a unit of Dreadscythe Harridans from this battalion may not perform a retreat movement.

Instead of an artefact I'd suggest this:

Ghastly Invitation:  Including this battalion within your army does not grant an additional artefact.  Instead once per battle, if Kurdoss Valentian is on the battlefield you may choose an enemy unit within 18" of him.  For the rest of the battle that unit's Bravery Characteristic is reduced by 3.

Endless Battue

Restrictions
The Dreadblade Harrow from this battalion must be your armies general, this means that you may not include this battalion if your army includes Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead or includes any Mortarch.

Abilities

Restless Dead: After using Endless Legions to return a slain unit of Dire Wolves from this battalion, that unit may immediately perform a move as if it were the movement phase.

Relentless Hunters: Units of Dire Wolves from this battalion gain 2" to their charge rolls.

One thought I did have would be perhaps dropping the artefact entirely and adding this:

Unholy Command: For the purpose of the Endless Legion command ability, treat this battalion's Dreadblade Harrow as a Gravesite (measure from the centre of the model's base when returning slain models).  Slain models must be placed more than 9" away from enemy models and more than 6" from objectives if the battleplan uses them.

Merciless Henchmen

Going to suggest some changes here - I think the Decapitating Greataxe (3 x 1"/3+/3+/-2/1(3)) is a bit too powerful to include on a 80 point battleline unit 😉  In the following I've bumped up the rend and added + damage depending on wound rolls.  It's not a huge leap, but a lot easier to remember and still makes them punch well above their weight. 

Abilities

Henchmen: If you include this battalion within your army, Glaivewraith Stalkers count as battleline for the purpose of Pitched Battles.

Deadly Blades: Increase the rend of Hunter's Glaive attacks made by Glaivewraith Stalkers within this battalion by -1.  Additionally if the wound roll for a Hunter's Glaive is 6+, increase the damage of that attack by 1, if the wound roll is 7+ increase the damage of that attack by 2 instead.

Hopefully you like some of these suggestions!  No worries if not though 😃

Here's one I've just dreamt up along similar thinking of merging the gheist and undead parts of the army - very much a mega battalion that's likely more than a little unbalanced - but comes with quite an overhead on the battalion front if they were pointed.

Master of Death

Not all gheists are mindless or tormented souls, many retain attributes they had in life and Nagash prizes bitterness, lack of remorse and cruelty more highly than others.  To those individuals he will on occasion grant a tiny fragment of his power to aid them in binding a force together.

0-1 Knight of Shrouds
0-1 Necromancer
0-1 Guardian of Souls
2-8 Legion of Grief Battalions

Restrictions
Your general must be a Hero model chosen from the models within this battalion (this includes Legion of Grief Battalions added as part of this battalion).  This means that you may not include this battalion if your army includes Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead or includes any Mortarch.

Abilities

Arise My Minions: All Heroes within this battalion gain the following ability if they do not already have it.  Deathly Invocation: At the start of your hero phase, pick up to 2 different friendly Summonable units within 6" of this model.  You can heal D3 wounds that have been allocated to each unit you picked (roll separately for each unit).  If no wounds are currently allocated to a unit you have picked, you may instead return a number of slain models to it that have a combined Wounds characteristic equal to or less than the roll of a D3.  If the hero is your general then increase the number of units you may pick to 3 and range of this ability to 12".

Endless Tide:  If a Summonable unit within this battalion contains more than 10 models, then the Aura of Grief ability subtracts 2 from the Bravery characteristic of enemy units instead of 1.

Command Ability:
Spectral Summons: You can use this command ability at the start of your movement phace.  If you do so, pick a friendly Summonable Nighthaunt unit that is on the battlefield.  Remove that unit from the battlefield, and then set it up wholly within 12" of your general and more than 9" from any enemy models.  This counts as their move for that movement phase.

Just thought of another one - this sorts out the daft conundrum where a Legion of Grief army is actually weaker when led by Olynder!

The Legion

When the Legion of Grief marches it is at it's most fearsome when led by it's Mortarch

1 Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief
1 Kurdoss Valentian, The Craven King

Restrictions

Lady Olynder must be your armies general.  Additionally this army cannot contain any other Mortarchs or Nagash

Abilities

Queen of Woe: Subtract 2 from the Bravery characteristic of enemy units while they are within 12" of Lady Olynder

Arise My Minions: All Heroes within this battalion gain the following ability if they do not already have it.  Deathly Invocation: At the start of your hero phase, pick up to 2 different friendly Summonable units within 6" of this model.  You can heal D3 wounds that have been allocated to each unit you picked (roll separately for each unit).  If no wounds are currently allocated to a unit you have picked, you may instead return a number of slain models to it that have a combined Wounds characteristic equal to or less than the roll of a D3.  If the hero is your general then increase the number of units you may pick to 3 and range of this ability to 12".