How exactly shooting range works?

Zeblasky

Question

You know, this is something I could not find any information anywhere about. Lets say you have a unit of darkshards 2 ranks deep. First rank has an enemy unit barely within 16 range, while the second one does not. Can only first rank shoot at the enemy or they both can?

Or what about the case when only  1 model of enemy unit is in range? Does it transfer extra woulds to the rest of the unit? And if your opponent suffers losses after shooting, can he just remove that model being in range, so thay your unit would be out of range?

So, in general, how is this distance used? From your closest model to your enemy closest model? Or from every single one of your models to enemy closest model? Or from every one of your models to every enemy model individually?

P.S. Oh, and also can friendly(of your other units) or enemy models obstruct visibility on your target? For example can friendly spears or a dragon right in front of your archers block your shots?

Edited by Zeblasky

6 answers to this question

You must be really confused by other wargames. It's all very simple actually.

Range is measured individually from model to unit, each model that reaches target unit - can shoot, other models - can't.

LoS is checked by looking if a straight line can be drawn from any part of one model to any part of the other. It's also checked from model to target unit individually.

Damage can be allocated to models that are out of range and/or LoS.

Hope it makes the case clear.

27 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

So it's from every model individually to a closest enemy model of a unit. Thanks!

Btw, does LOS blocking of shootings(and casting) counts from the model size(so you literally look if a model blocks vision from one target to another)or from its base? Because a lot of things usually count from a model base. I am also not sure if putting spearman(or any other small infantry unit) right in front of my ranged unit blocks them from shooting or not. As those are models in front of it, but 1) those are small models, 2) archers can shoot above models after all x)

Going RAW if you see even a small part of opponent's model you can shoot it. Some groups add house rules that banners and spears doesn't count.

1 hour ago, XReN said:

You must be really confused by other wargames. It's all very simple actually.

Range is measured individually from model to unit, each model that reaches target unit - can shoot, other models - can't.

LoS is checked by looking if a straight line can be drawn from any part of one model to any part of the other. It's also checked from model to target unit individually.

Damage can be allocated to models that are out of range and/or LoS.

Hope it makes the case clear

So it's from every model individually to a closest enemy model of a unit. Thanks!

Btw, does LOS blocking of shootings(and casting) counts from the model size(so you literally look if a model blocks vision from one target to another)or from its base? Because a lot of things usually count from a model base. I am also not sure if putting spearman(or any other small infantry unit) right in front of my ranged unit blocks them from shooting or not. As those are models in front of it, but 1) those are small models, 2) archers can shoot above models after all x)

Edited by Zeblasky

3 hours ago, XReN said:

I believe is LOS is per unit. One model has to see the enemy unit then everyone in range can shoot.

14 hours ago, Eevika said:

I believe is LOS is per unit. One model has to see the enemy unit then everyone in range can shoot.

Checked the core rules, it's on individual models. 

"MISSILE WEAPONS In order to attack with a missile weapon, the model using the weapon must be in range of the target unit (i.e. within the maximum distance, in inches, of the Range listed for the weapon making the attack), and the target unit must be visible to the model with the weapon (if unsure, stoop down and look from behind the shooting model to see if a model from the target unit is visible). For the purposes of determining visibility, a model can see through other models in its unit."

15 hours ago, Zeblasky said:

To make it as clear as possible and avoid cheeky plays where someone might hide closest model behind LoS block to prevent opponent from shooting a unit:

It is your model to any model in enemy's unit, not closest, any model will do.