Nihilakh oxide... cracks

Verengard

Hi Verengard, I try to answer you, cos my NH army is mostly painted with nihilakh oxide.

I think the key is absolutely avoid pooling, moving or taking out the excess with the brush (you can also use a dry brush, in order to absorb the color).
Another solution could be mixing the nihilakh oxide with lahmian medium, instead of using it pure.

Maybe pro painters have more illuminating advices :)

3 hours ago, Fulcanelli said:

Hi Verengard, I try to answer you, cos my NH army is mostly painted with nihilakh oxide.

I think the key is absolutely avoid pooling, moving or taking out the excess with the brush (you can also use a dry brush, in order to absorb the color).
Another solution could be mixing the nihilakh oxide with lahmian medium, instead of using it pure.

Maybe pro painters have more illuminating advices :)

Thanks for the advices, your is also cracking when it pools ?

Do you mix it with lahmian ?

Edited by Verengard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Verengard said:

Thanks for the advices, your is also cracking when it pools ?

Do you mix it with lahmian ?

I've painted an entire unit of Chainrasp using pure Nihilak Oxide on a base of Corax White. In some spots it happened that, once dried, the coat resulted a little bit chalky/grainy. Is this what you mean?

Anyway, I used lahmian on a couple of heroes: it seemed better, but I'm not sure if merit goes to the medium or to a special attention on more important models :)

22 hours ago, Fulcanelli said:

I've painted an entire unit of Chainrasp using pure Nihilak Oxide on a base of Corax White. In some spots it happened that, once dried, the coat resulted a little bit chalky/grainy. Is this what you mean?

Anyway, I used lahmian on a couple of heroes: it seemed better, but I'm not sure if merit goes to the medium or to a special attention on more important models :)

What I mean is that it looks like agrellan earth when too much gathers in some recess area.

17 hours ago, Verengard said:

What I mean is that it looks like agrellan earth when too much gathers in some recess area.

Uhm that's strange...I'm thinking about some issues with the undercoat, it seems uniform?
Also, probably you already do it, Nihilakh Oxide need to be super shaked before applying.
Maybe it's a flawed product :( 

Sounds to me like an undercoat issue where the spray isn't adhering to the plastic and potentially has been applied too thickly.  Corax White is a really dodgy spray paint to use, it's really temperamental depending upon the atmospheric conditions and will randomly go chalky for no apparent reason.

What I'd be tempted to do is to undercoat using Grey Seer spray and then lightly brighten with Corax White spray to make it a little brighter.  Grey Seer is a lot more reliable as a spray paint.  I'd also suggest to give a GW spray overnight to cure properly.  Although it's technically workable after a fairly short time, it won't have hardened off fully.

20 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Sounds to me like an undercoat issue where the spray isn't adhering to the plastic and potentially has been applied too thickly.  Corax White is a really dodgy spray paint to use, it's really temperamental depending upon the atmospheric conditions and will randomly go chalky for no apparent reason.

What I'd be tempted to do is to undercoat using Grey Seer spray and then lightly brighten with Corax White spray to make it a little brighter.  Grey Seer is a lot more reliable as a spray paint.  I'd also suggest to give a GW spray overnight to cure properly.  Although it's technically workable after a fairly short time, it won't have hardened off fully.

But this issue only happens with Nihilakh. Its a second pot that i bought - before had the same issue so replaced it :|

Waiting for my new can of Corax while stripping failed models. Will share photos when i have something.

Edited by Verengard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Verengard said:

But this issue only happens with Nihilakh. Its a second pot that i bought - before had the same issue so replaced it :|

Waiting for my new can of Corax while stripping failed models. Will share photos when i have something.

Have you tried it putting a wash/contrast paint directly over Corax white?  Nihilakh isn't a "normal" paint, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were doing it and Abaddon Black wasn't.  Pics would be good though - fingers crossed!

On 12/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, RuneBrush said:

Have you tried it putting a wash/contrast paint directly over Corax white?  Nihilakh isn't a "normal" paint, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were doing it and Abaddon Black wasn't.  Pics would be good though - fingers crossed!

Managed to solve this issue by mixing it 1:5 with Lahmian medium.

Thanks for help

• LOVE IT! 1