What about steam tanks?

Hannibal

Hi all,

just wondering: what about steam tanks?

I like the model and rumors had it that you can run them as battleline if you also field some kind of character steam tank. That is some awesome news to me. Though I´m not sure wether this might be a good idea or not. Do you think it´s a good idea to go and get 1-2 steam tanks as centerpieces for a CoS army? Or would it be kind of trash even in casual games?

3 hours ago, Hannibal said:

I like the model and rumors had it that you can run them as battleline if you also field some kind of character steam tank.

That's correct; you can add a commander to a steam tank for 50 pts which makes it a hero plus a couple of abilities; and if one is your general then steam tanks become battleline. This also means a tank with commander can take an artefact - like the thermalrider cloak. Flying steam tank!

They are great models and a classic unit. The rules are not trash tier, but general consensus is that they're not particularly competitive for the points. So definitely 👍 for casual games, less so for competitive cut-throat games.

Thanks for your answer.

Today I went to the store and grabbed a Battletome: Cities of Sigmar due to the fact that I really like the idea of a steam-tank-centric army. To be honest I bought the book the moment I saw the flying Kharadron dudes which can also be included if I go for Tempest´s Eye. Another unit of fantastic looking models.

Steamtanks can be good I think if you find balance between tanks and bodies, 3-4 tanks might be pushing it, but with just 1 CP and Lord Ordinator behind them your opponent will get a few painfull 2+ 2+ -2 d6 shots per turn, whille hoardy units with trash saves will really feel the steam guns. 

Additional artefact suggestions: you can give Tank Commander a 2+ save in Hammerhall and Greywater (and some extra range for all tanks in the later) which is awesome

And you can reliably finish some Keepers of Secret and Terrorgheists with mortal wounds by charging in with those Steamtanks

Edited by XReN

Balancing the number of Steamtanks against the rest of your units is important. The tanks and big and can be impressive and potentially terrifying hoard-killers with that main gun, but sheer bodies is what claims objectives and having versatile units is important etc etc.

Or...

You take Nine Steam Tanks (one commander minimum, with the points to promote three more or include some cogsmiths.) at 2k points.  Bonus points for Living City tanks, so half of them are deep-striking. I know which of these sounds way more fun to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 hours ago, Ironblaze said:

You take Nine Steam Tanks (one commander minimum, with the points to promote three more or include some cogsmiths.) at 2k points.  Bonus points for Living City tanks, so half of them are deep-striking. I know which of these sounds way more fun to me.

Well technically they are ambushing (which makes the whole thing even more hilarious) but still....

"Master, news from the front"
"Yes servant ?"

"The scouts heard some weird rumbling, screeching noises from the forest. Shall we investigate ?"
"Weird noises you say ? Nonsense, thats just the local fauna embracing the gifts of Chaos!"

"But master there is black smoke rising from multiple spots, and its drawing ever closer!"

"Excellent! The wild beasts of Chaos have begun their assault and are on their way to join with my army! Thats a good thing servant, the Gods are with us!"

"But master! Cant you feel the earth shaking ? As if something large and heavy was rolling down the hill ?"

"But of course servant! They brought Gorgons and Gargants. Very good ! My attack on the City shall truly be Victorious !"

*Something flies out of the forest at high velocity and smashes the Chaos warriors ranks*

"Hmm they need to train their Cygor better. the Enemy lines are that way. Maybe I should make a case with the Lord of Change and ask him to grant them a second eye.... or a magnifying glass"

*Rolling Stones music starts playing as the first shape bursts out of the tree line*

"See servant ? I told you it was the Beastmen! Thats why you should never doubt me!"

"Certainly master, I`d never..... although.... dont you think those beastmen are a little bit.... err how to put it nicely..... mushy ? pierced by metal spikes protruding from the wheels ? You know.... as if they were squished by that giant tank kontraption thats rolling down towards us ?"

*More steam tanks appear from the forest, all similarly adorned by gore and blood as they made their way through a beastmen horde and start firing into the Chaos Lines.*

"(in a hushed voice) Seems like old Gregor was right once again.... sigh.... Ahem!...Your orders Ooo Malevolent one ?"

"......."

"Master ?"
*turns around to see the chaos lords flying mutated mount preparing to take of the ground.*

"Master.... where are you going ?!"
"Ah! This is not how it looks like! I am.... I was.... err... I forgot to turn of the Oven! I must return to Castle Fluffyspike at once! We dont want to risk it burning to the ground now do we! And with that said Gregor.... off we go!"

"Aaaah wait for old Gregor masteeeer!"

*The old servant latches on top of the scaled beasts tail as it swiftly takes off into the sunset, while a cadre of *cough* "ambushing" *cough* steam tanks happily plunge into the surprised Chaos line.

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, Myrdin said:

Well technically they are ambushing (which makes the whole thing even more hilarious) but still....

"Master, news from the front"
"Yes servant ?"

"The scouts heard some weird rumbling, screeching noises from the forest. Shall we investigate ?"
"Weird noises you say ? Nonsense, thats just the local fauna embracing the gifts of Chaos!"

"But master there is black smoke rising from multiple spots, and its drawing ever closer!"

"Excellent! The wild beasts of Chaos have begun their assault and are on their way to join with my army! Thats a good thing servant, the Gods are with us!"

"But master! Cant you feel the earth shaking ? As if something large and heavy was rolling down the hill ?"

"But of course servant! They brought Gorgons and Gargants. Very good ! My attack on the City shall truly be Victorious !"

*Something flies out of the forest at high velocity and smashes the Chaos warriors ranks*

"Hmm they need to train their Cygor better. the Enemy lines are that way. Maybe I should make a case with the Lord of Change and ask him to grant them a second eye.... or a magnifying glass"

*Rolling Stones music starts playing as the first shape bursts out of the tree line*

"See servant ? I told you it was the Beastmen! Thats why you should never doubt me!"

"Certainly master, I`d never..... although.... dont you think those beastmen are a little bit.... err how to put it nicely..... mushy ? pierced by metal spikes protruding from the wheels ? You know.... as if they were squished by that giant tank kontraption thats rolling down towards us ?"

*More steam tanks appear from the forest, all similarly adorned by gore and blood as they made their way through a beastmen horde and start firing into the Chaos Lines.*

"(in a hushed voice) Seems like old Gregor was right once again.... sigh.... Ahem!...Your orders Ooo Malevolent one ?"

"......."

"Master ?"
*Gregor turns around to see the chaos lords flying mutated mount preparing to take of the ground.*

"Master.... where are you going ?!"
"Ah! This is not how it looks! I am.... I was.... err... I forgot to turn of the Oven! I must return the Castle Fluffyspike Immediately! We dont want to risk it burning to the ground now do we! And with that said Gregor.... off we go!"

"Aaaah wait for old Gregor masteeeer!"

*The old servant latches on top of the scaled beasts tail as it swiftly takes off into the sunset, while as a cadre of "ambushing" *cough, cough steam tanks plunge through the Chaos army ranks.

This is why I tga.