Save rolls with modifiers & moving over fences?

Fundre

Question

Hi 2 questions here,

Question 1: How do we apply modifiers to save rolls? An example: My sequitors have a 4+ save with the reroll save ability. My opponent has rend of -1. So i save on 5s rerolling however my oponent said i can't reroll any 4s rolled cause they technically didnt fail as the modifier of rend is added at the end. My problem is, the sequitors' rules states failed saves can be rerolled and a 4 in this case is a fail? Was this correct?

Question 2: Ive seen players play obstacles differently. Example, my unit is standing behind a fence, about 1" high, some opponents iv've played just ignore this with regards to movement but other players say you have to take the fence into account so 1" up and 1" down essentially adding 2" to my move/run/charge. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for reading and and answering

5 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Fundre said:

Hi 2 questions here,

Question 1: How do we apply modifiers to save rolls? An example: My sequitors have a 4+ save with the reroll save ability. My opponent has rend of -1. So i save on 5s rerolling however my oponent said i can't reroll any 4s rolled cause they technically didnt fail as the modifier of rend is added at the end. My problem is, the sequitors' rules states failed saves can be rerolled and a 4 in this case is a fail? Was this correct?

Question 2: Ive seen players play obstacles differently. Example, my unit is standing behind a fence, about 1" high, some opponents iv've played just ignore this with regards to movement but other players say you have to take the fence into account so 1" up and 1" down essentially adding 2" to my move/run/charge. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for reading and and answering

Modifiers are applied after rerolls. So with the ability to reroll failed saves you can indeed only reroll 1,2 and 3 in this situation.

I believe the 1" up and 1" down is the correct way to play terrain but I'm not 100% on that but locally we rule it like that. 

With regards to terrain and movement, it is a good practice to discuss this with your opponent before the battle, or at least before you start movement that interacts with terrain. It can be difficult to determine the ACTUAL distance a model moves when crossing an uneven fence (is it 0.9 or 1.1 inches?) or other irregular terrain shapes. Agreeing to count sections of terrain as being of a certain height will make it a lot easier to resolve movement.

A house rule that works for our group in many systems is that if a model has enough movement to cross the threshold of a terrain feature, but not enough move to completely clear it, we allow the model to complete its move on the other side, touching the point where it ascended or descended.

E.g.: A model with Movement 5 and a 40mm base is moving to cross a wall 3.5 inches away, the wall being 1 inch high and 1/4 inch wide. Even though the model's move would end part-way down the wall, for convenience we allow the model to end its move on the other side.

We are also in agreement that this is just a convenience thing and isn't intended for "stealing inches" to get in better shooting or charge range, or grabbing objectives: When this is an issue we usually pre-measure before movement and make sure to move our models in a way  that they only get to do stuff they normally would be allowed to do! At least in that turn :)