Freeguild Piper/Great Company abilities after moving/running

Duck1986

Question

Hi there,

I did try searching for this but couldnt find any results - apologies if it's been asked!

If I run my handgunners up the field on turn 1 and then get charged in my opponents turn, are they able to activate their piper "Stand and shoot" ability despite the fact they ran? The wording states that "if an enemy unit ends its charge within 3" of a unit that includes any pipers, they can signal their unit to stand and shoot. Each model can then shoot it's missile weapon at the charging unit" 

Likewise, if playing in a Great Company and they are offering support to another unit and meet the criteria, can they still shoot? The wording states "as if it were its shooting phase"

This also then leads to the next question, which is "Steady Aim" - if I move in my turn and then am offering support to another unit in my opponents charge-phase through Great Companies, can I add 1 to hit rolls? The wording is "So long as its unit did not move in the preceding movement phase and there are no enemy models within 3'' of it's unit"

I'm leaning towards the answer being that the unit is unaffected by the move and runs it made in my movement phase, as it's my opponents turn and the wording states that I can do it and doesn't mention my turn's impact?

4 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Duck1986 said:

Hi there,

I did try searching for this but couldnt find any results - apologies if it's been asked!

If I run my handgunners up the field on turn 1 and then get charged in my opponents turn, are they able to activate their piper "Stand and shoot" ability despite the fact they ran? The wording states that "if an enemy unit ends its charge within 3" of a unit that includes any pipers, they can signal their unit to stand and shoot. Each model can then shoot it's missile weapon at the charging unit" 

Likewise, if playing in a Great Company and they are offering support to another unit and meet the criteria, can they still shoot? The wording states "as if it were its shooting phase"

This also then leads to the next question, which is "Steady Aim" - if I move in my turn and then am offering support to another unit in my opponents charge-phase through Great Companies, can I add 1 to hit rolls? The wording is "So long as its unit did not move in the preceding movement phase and there are no enemy models within 3'' of it's unit"

I'm leaning towards the answer being that the unit is unaffected by the move and runs it made in my movement phase, as it's my opponents turn and the wording states that I can do it and doesn't mention my turn's impact?

Running only prevents the unit from shooting later in the same turn. Therefore it will be eligible to shoot in the subsequent opponents turn.

About Steady Aim: I am not a native english speaker but I can not imagine what "preceding movement phase" could mean other than "the last movement phase" (in your opponents turn).

@Duck1986, @Isotop Actually, guys - please take a look at the full wording for "Steady aim": You can add 1 to the hit rolls for a Freeguild Handgunner in your shooting phase so long as its unit did not move in the preceding movement phase and there are no enemy models within 3" of its unit. Bonus from "Steady Aim" applies only in your shooting phase, if you did not move in the preceding movement phase (the one  that goes immediately before the shooting phase, during your turn). This does not apply in your opponent's turn (if you are using support ability, or the Piper's ability).

However, you can apply bonus from "Handgun Volley" ability, because it does not specify the phase.

Edited by Painbringer