Shooting rules, need clarification

Artifactor

Question

Hello everyone!

I'm an old Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy Battles player so during my first game I made a lot of assumptions. Turns out, Age of Sigmar is not Warhammer Fantasy Battles. :) I just want to know if I've got the following statements correct:

You can shoot at one target, and charge another.
You can divide up the shooting at any viable targets (if you want, each model in your shooting unit might attack a different target).
You can shoot out of melee in your combat phase (As long as you can see it, true line of sight).
You can shoot at an enemy unit attacking you in close combat.
You can shoot into melee without any penalties.

Are these statements correct and is there anything else I'm missing? You who are more experienced with the game, how do you feel this affects gameplay? Is it better? Worse?

Thank you!

7 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Artifactor said:

You can divide up the shooting at any viable targets (if you want, each model in your shooting unit might attack a different target).

Do you need to declare on start witch weapon shoot on what unit if you got more then one shooting weapons on same model

On 8/10/2016 at 9:59 PM, Artifactor said:

Are these statements correct and is there anything else I'm missing? You who are more experienced with the game, how do you feel this affects gameplay? Is it better? Worse?

Thank you!

I'll address this point.

Combat can happen 10 times a game.  Shooting can happen 5.  

Shooting units also pay the price.  Take for example Liberators (100 for 5) and Judicators (160 for 5):

They  have the same move, wounds, bravery and save.

Liberators produce 8 attacks at 3+/4+ and 3 at 3+/4+ rend 1 with 2 damage (prime with grandblade).  Over 10 combat rounds they can produce 34 wounds on average (considering all armor types).

Judicators in combat have 4 attacks at 3+/4+ and 1 at 2+/4+.  In shooting it's 4 3+/3+ rend 1 and 1 2+/3+ rend 1 on shockbolt.  So that's 9 wounds for combat and 15 for shooting -- 24 in total.

Obviously not every round of combat will be fought and certainly not at full strength.  With 5 rounds (half) of combat and 5 rounds of shooting -- favoring shooting -- Liberators score 17 and Judicators 22.  30% more damage for 60% more cost.  This also considers none of the Liberators bonuses for Lay Low the Tyrants or other situations like Decimators versus a horde and highlights the price paid to do damage before they reach your lines.

Archived