Path to Glory Overhaul: Road to Renown Edition

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it turns out brain surgery is a hell of a drug! Content is more or less finished in design at this point, so now comes typing it all up and getting it formatted. I don't normally do this but with the unique split-state of StDs both having and not having a new battletome I decided to tap the leaks. This means the next update WILL have new StDs factored in!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

With warband tables more or less finished up, now is the time for the scenarios! Any feedback you may have on the scenarios document would be welcome (and impactful, as I have barely any)! Suggestions for objectives and/or deployment styles I would also be grateful for!

Edited by NinthMusketeer
  • Haha 1

RtR Changelog 3.0

With all the content in this update it felt appropriate to finally knock things up to 3.0! This is also because previously RtR was mainly just ‘patched over’ from 2nd edition with the intent of seeing how GWs Path to Glory played out before making any major changes. 3.0 marks the decision to move away from GWs PtG entirely and continue designing content for RtR on its own as I have previously (though obviously I will borrow/change terminology to remain consistent where I can, as that helps with understanding).

General:

-Campaign mode names changed to “Matched” and “Narrative” respectively, and some content will now be labelled as being recommended for a certain version.

-Rewards are now called out as being for Narrative, with a new Slim Rewards rule for Matched

-Wording around reinforcing units changed for clarity and to tighten up rule interactions.

-All warbands now start with 2 renown (up from 1).

-All warbands now start with 1 reserve for summoning (up from 0).

-The numerical restriction on summons relating to warband tables has been removed.

-The scenario document has been overhauled, finally completing it with a full scenario generator!

-The FFA and Alternate-by-Phase rules have had updates to their wording (still function the same) and got their own document

-By popular request* I have overhauled how quests work, writing new ones to fit with RtR that people should hopefully find more hospitable than the PtG quests!
*The pun is always intentional.

Rewards:

-Reward results 1 and 2 have been combined.

-The table for Cavalry has been reintroduced.

-Minor tweaks on several reward options for purposes of aligning rules/terminology with battletome releases as well as (hopefully) making them easier to understand.

Warband Tables:

-Tzeentch, Slaves to Darkness, Mawtribes, Sons of Behemat, and Lumineth updated!

-General formatting update with some light balance touches on other warbands
-Arkanaut Admiral moved to grand warlord and Arkanaut Frigate increased to a cost of 5 starting followers (up from 4). Keeping a close eye on how much the transport capacity should be worth and how much it needs to cost before it no longer becomes an auto-take option (would particularly value feedback on this).

-New tomes have warranted adjustment to the Ascention & Damnation rule in order to put some restraints on excessive spawning**.

-Chaos warbands now have a narrative option to play as a “Godsworn Legion” which works along the lines of 2nd edition mono-god allegiances.

-Beasts of Chaos and Blades of Khorne warbands have had their bonus starting followers removed, thanks to the benefits of their recent updates.

**Always.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Warband tables for Aelf, Chaos, Death, and Destruction have all be updated to 3.1! Order Main has been delayed because of Seraphon, which are going to take a bit more time/effort than a normal tome : /

RtR Changelog 3.1

-Khorne, Slaanesh, OBR, and SGL updated! Godsworn Legions also updated to utilize up-to-date terminology. [Note: Some previous battletome updates were also done under the 3.1 label, prior to this update]

-Upped the costing of Doombulls, cleaned up the BoC retinue charts to be more legible, refined the Gibbering Congregations implementation

-Tzeentch Guild of Summoners gained a special rule to make them usable in RtR

-Nurgle Elite Retinue tables combined to bring them more in line with others, LoA moved to Exalted WL

-Fixed a typo in quest wording for A Binding Conjuration, as well as a typo in starting WB followers for various chaos factions, and added the mistakenly-missing Plague Priest option

-Arcane Tome gained a roll again option, due to the recent changes

-Cleaned up starting options by the addition of a generic ‘pick an Exalted Retinue result’ for 2

-Fyreslayer retinue and hero retinue tables combined, Grimwrath moved to elite

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, RtR fans!* Just wanted to touch on the developments lately with the sort-of release of new Cities and the supplement for Ironjawz. Those are being worked on/completed in good time, I am holding off until the release of the next Harbingers book to see if I will need to do anything to account for the Armies of Renown and then will put up all of those updates together. If you have any feedback, now is the time!

*All three of you!

Edited by NinthMusketeer

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, the 3.2 update is here! As always all the documents can be found at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kx6abv0am12rx9k/AADIA301VDdAigp7AkvNbTN6a?dl=0

Changelog:

-Ironjawz updated with the content from their supplement

-Cities of Sigmar updated with the new battletome

-The Destruction armies of Renown from Harbingers II have been added in, the Kharadron one was not

-Neutral Endless Spells table updated (adding some previously unavailable options)

-Slight change to the Defined Enhancement quest, expanding the movement restrictions from Searching to last the whole turn (instead of just the phase).

-One of the Cities rewards was swapped out for a new one to take advantage of their new allegiance

-Stormcast Spell table reduced to three cells (down from 6) to help their wizards in face of power creep

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Small update to Order, Death, & Destruction wb tables!
Changelog:
-Stormstrike chariot availability adjusted slightly
-Lumineth given some options for larger starting units
-Royal Beastflayers somehow slipped through the cracks previously and have now been added, apologies!
-Various new units from Warcry/Campaign Book releases have been added
-Aside from new units the content from Dawnbringers 3 has not yet been added (delayed shipment at my local store)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished with a broad but relatively minor update (Aelf, Chaos, Death, and Destruction warband docs were only changed with an updated core quest, the tables remain the same). Changelog:

-Glory renamed to Campaign Victory Points, both to reduce the number of terms and for being more intuitive

-Armies of Renown from the Dawnbringers III campaign book added

-Castellant and Veritant added to Stormcast hero followers, Imperitant added to exalted followers along with some small adjustments

-The Defined Enhancement quest has seen a small rework, focusing more on the questing unit

-Tiebreaker rules expanded to better cover possible game results

-Updates to several scenario generator options; Edge Points minimum distance between deployment points reduced to 24”, Artillery Drop simplified by removing the second move of deployment points, Consolidation had its placement & removal timing of objectives altered slightly, Destructive Fonts units no longer need to remain on objectives to keep control, Scatter adjusted objective movement

-Alternate by Phase rules; changed how the designation is done for combat & battleshock phases as friendly or enemy

• 2 months later...

I'm sure the handful of people who actually use this outside my local community will be excited to hear the latest update is now up on the Dropbox! Changelog:

-Added a rule for selecting quest terrain when no pieces meet the criteria (opponent selects a piece anywhere on the battlefield instead)

-Rewards; clarified wording for Stalking units (Kruleboyz and Eshin rewards)

-Quests; added Galletian Veterans and Wizard-Finders of Andtor to the available battalions

-Updated for the new Flesh Eater Courts battletome

-Some changes to Cities of Sigmar warband tables based on feedback; ‘trap’ options removed from retinue, irondrakes moved to elite, basic hurricanum & luminark moved to exalted, 1-per-army restriction removed from Warforgers, expanded selection for gyrocopter & bomber

-Small adjustments to the Soulblight retinue table for balance and to enable the Scions of Nulahmia army of renown; Zombies reduced to 10 and swapped rows with Skeletons, Black Knights reduced to 3 and swapped rows with Fell Bats.

-All terrorgheist entries have been removed; The Gaping Maw ability is too prone to cause negative play experiences.

-Scenarios; for tiebreaking results with even VP models are now counted as if contesting an objective, the Blood Fields objective had the rule regarding battleshock removed

-Scenarios and FFA/AbP; General cleanup of typos and wording to increase clarity.

-Still being worked on: The FFA/AbP document has not yet been updated, as I am still finishing the integration of the new Triumph and Treachery rules.

• Like 1

The FFA and Alternate-By-Phase document has now been updated to add Triumph & Treachery integration (essentially rules for adding ploys, since most of the base T&T is already superseded). Direct link to that document:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6m25vzk4ylhjlwtjt55w5/FFA-and-Alternate-by-Phase-Rules-v3.1.0-print-friendly.docx?rlkey=gw2qqhnvey1976z7qyh5fn0qw&dl=0

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't delved that deep yet but just wanted to say a quick thanks for the quality of the work and making it super easy to have the most up to date version! We're talking about starting a Path to glory campaign locally and I was a bit bummed that the current one didn't have any tables of followers or anything like in the "good old days" (seems like I've become a gruntled vet without realising it :') )

• Thanks 1