Old World Gods?

1 hour ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

It's clearly because of copyright, otherwise they wouldn't have changed his name. If Nagash was called Anubis they'd probably have changed his name, just like they changed the very iconic Malekith into Malerion to avoid problems with Marvel (probably). As far as I know, Malekith is not an adaptation of any myth an purely a Marvel invention.

Of course there's Horus in 40k, but given that in 40k everyone has names reminiscent (if not outright taken) from our world... they probably let that slide.

Doesn't it seem like everyone escaped the death of the Old World? We've got already a big number of people who managed to escape being consumed, eaten or obliterated by either a Chaos god, Archaon, or the End of the World itself. Gods who should be dead are "alive", mortals who should have died have been rescued (or at least their soul has)... it's starting to feel like GW doesn't have a lot of ideas for new charismatic characters.

I don't think Kurnous was changed due to copyright, since his name was original. Malekith wasn't and wasn't inspired on mythology.

I'm saying Anath because Kurnous Anath

They have good characters, but agreed they are explored extremely little. Characters like Brokk, Olynder, Kurdoss and Arianka. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 4:02 AM, Cèsar de Quart said:

changed the very iconic Malekith into Malerion to avoid problems with Marvel (probably). As far as I know, Malekith is not an adaptation of any myth an purely a Marvel invention.

there was already a law suite that Marvel filded with GW, and lost. it turned out that both appeared at the same time in the respective universes (or so I was told), apparently Malekith was changed for name recognition.

if you google Malekith you'll largely get Marvel stuff, if you google the horus heresy or horus lupercal  you get 40k stuff

On 8/4/2019 at 9:33 AM, Turin Turambar said:

there was already a law suite that Marvel filded with GW, and lost. it turned out that both appeared at the same time in the respective universes (or so I was told), apparently Malekith was changed for name recognition.

if you google Malekith you'll largely get Marvel stuff, if you google the horus heresy or horus lupercal  you get 40k stuff

Sounds rights. I do wonder, though, if the name appeared at the same time, who made it up first, or where did they get it from?

• Like 1