Allegiance

Babur

Hello everybody!

I've read the GH and i've got questions about allegiance. If I have understand it correctly, I must chose between Destruction or Ironjaws if I play with an army full of Ironjaws. And if I want my Brutes, Ardboys and Gruntas to count as a line I must pick the Ironjaws allegiance. 
But by doing so I lose the access to destruction's artifacts, battle traits and command traits. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Hey,

Yes you are reading it the way most of us did. Thankfully, they released an FAQ to go with the General's Handbook that stipulates you can always default to the Grand Alliance allegiance after picking your list.

So you can write your list as Ironjawz allegiance, getting all the nice battleline units and then revert to Destruction allegiance so you can pick up the Command/Battle Traits along with Arfefacts.

Note this also applies to Bonesplitterz and Beastclaw Raiders. Whilst they have their own Traits and Artefacts, you could still default to the Grand Alliance ones - though you have to pick one or the other and cannot mix and match.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but 'allegiance' covers my question - do you HAVE to take an allegiance at all? Is there anything to stop some you combining Death and Chaos for example. I couldn't see it worded explicitly - (not that I think it's a positive thing)

5 minutes ago, Marc Wilson said:

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but 'allegiance' covers my question - do you HAVE to take an allegiance at all? Is there anything to stop some you combining Death and Chaos for example. I couldn't see it worded explicitly - (not that I think it's a positive thing)

Hey Marc,

Yeh in Matched Play you have to build your army to one allegiance. Don't have book etc to hand so can't quote page number.

Obviously for Open and Narrative Play there is nothing (in the 4 page main rules) stopping you mixing Grand Alliances.

6 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey Marc,

Yeh in Matched Play you have to build your army to one allegiance. Don't have book etc to hand so can't quote page number.

Obviously for Open and Narrative Play there is nothing (in the 4 page main rules) stopping you mixing Grand Alliances.

One Grand Alliance anyhow, you can mix any number of alliances within the grand alliance.

16 hours ago, thediceabide said:

One Grand Alliance anyhow, you can mix any number of alliances within the grand alliance.

Yeh, perhaps I should've used the word alliance rather than allegiance, though tbh your army does have to be made to one allegiance. Though this allegiance can just be one of the 4 Grand Alliances. This leaves you free to mix any number of factions (allegiances) within that specific Grand Alliance.

It does not help that the words are so similar! 

My first game went well but I've got more questions now. I was playing against the Sylvaneth and I was wondering if the command trait Nothing Left Standing could be used to counter the bonus of the Wildwoods that the Sylvaneth summon. 

I was wondering if the command trait Nothing Left Standing could be used to counter the bonus of the Wildwoods that the Sylvaneth summon. 

You bet it can! It's "scenery rules". I'd love to see the look on your opponent's phase. Admittedly you might have to do it to each piece of Wyldwood separately.

17 hours ago, Dez said:

Yeah this is a powerful trait vs Sylvaneth and they will not be happy. I can't wait for my Order friend to finish his, so I can yell at the woods and make them scared :)

I love this trait, thematically it's the coolest and most image evoking of the 6. However in game I'm not sure it's as good/practical as either Ravager or Bellowing Tyrant. The game I played vs Sylvaneth I opted not to take it and noted throughout the game that I didn't see many opportunities arise were I could of used it effectively if I had it.

I'd be very interested to hear of actual in game experience of this as I'd love it to be worth taking at times.

Archived