Garrek's Reavers... what are my chances?

Bosmer Nightblade

So I'm a new player to Underworlds, and I've started playing in a league.

I know how to play the game now, and whilst I'm not am experienced player, i tend to do well in strategy games and the like. I also have a decent win ratio in Age of Sigmar.

I have some sentimental regret not jumping in with Shadespire when it came out. I bought all the things, but never got started. Because of that, i decided to start at the very beginning for myself in this league, and picked Garrek's Reavers; also because nobody else in the league picked them.

So far though, it feels like i can't really compete. I've played 3 games against Magore's Fiends and 2 games against the Sylvaneth, and I've lost all of them. The biggest thing from my point of view at least is that those warbands seem to have lot more utility and options, whereas mine seem to have not that much.

Do i stand a chance or am i just playing them wrong? My deck consists almost entirely of the faction cards for Garrek's Reavers.

Edited by Bosmer Nightblade

There is one upside for you. You didn't pick Ironjawz. That out of the way, most of your games are going to be an uphill slog. You will be the heavy underdog in the majority of your games, outside of the cases where someone else brings a warband at around the same power level. Playing with mostly faction cards against many opponents packing everything won't help, but luckily you picked one of the factions that can actually pack a lot of faction cards and still be successful. Are you working with any cards outside of the Shadespire core set? Post your deck and what sets you're working with and we'll see what we can do to maximize your deck. 

• Like 1

I'd say that you absolutely stand a chance.

But of course, it depends on the deck that you bring. Create your deck at underworldsdb.com and post the link here.

As far as strategy is concerned: play offensively against defensive or objective driven warbands: offer two of the weakest reavers and in trying that kill one of them. At that moment: your warband inspires as a whole.

Against aggresive decks, I'd be a little more cautious. Against Magore: deploy at the back of the board (further than 3 squares). He will have to come to you (because he inspires if he attacks succesfully. You are faster then him, so when he moves in, you can attack him back.

P

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty good.

Skill cap for reavers is high. Their height was probably BAR v1.0 where they were able to compete in the aggro meta that evolved. Even with a tonne of cards restricted, they can still be very dangerous.

Objective deck based around attrition of yours and your opponents fighters with some solid passives like master of war, heroes all, shining example, fired up, escalation, cover ground

Power deck pushing accurate attacks (+dice like blood offering), hitting hard (trap, pit trap, twist the knife, any non restricted +1 damage card) with a smattering of additional actions (ready for action, fuelled by slaughter).  You may also want the odd movement buff (spectral wings).

Upgrades for damage, speed, additional glory (tome of offerings plus grisly trophy equals 3 glory kills from garrek which is a massive swing)

The key with Reavers is using your speed to dictate engagements. a threat range of 5 uninspired and 6 inspired (7 for karsus) is pretty killer against other aggro and defensive warbands. Where you'll struggle is decent ranged attacks providing a threat range that matches yours - farstriders, guardians, profiteers, cursebreaker.