Priest spells and casting query...

Damian

Question

As a new player i'm confused about Priest spells and how many I can cast?

I thought that I could only cast 1 prayer per hero phase, and I could choose to either cast a singe prayer chosen from my own warscroll or cast one from the Battletome prayer list, yet I have seen several Battle reports on YouTube using Daemons of Chaos (saughter priest), Stormcast and the new Fyreslayers where the priest cast BOTH the prayer on their warscroll AND the prayer they have chosen from the book in the same  hero phase = 2 prayers cast per hero phase???

Which is correct?

10 answers to this question

It pretty much depends on tome but I can say for fyreslayers that any prayer they know, they can attempt to use. Normally this means their warscroll prayer and book prayer (as well as magmic invocations) but there are command traits that allow picking extra prayers. The wording on prayers goes something like "if a friendly fyreslayer priest knows this prayer he may attempt to use it in hero blaa blaa". Nothing in the book prevents using multiple prayers, only restrictions are that each (book) prayer may only be attempted once and no more than one magmic invocation can be attempted per priest

There is danger in using the wrong words for things just because they are superficially similar.  I would strongly recommend not using the word "spell" when talking about what priests can do with prayers, as it can lead to incorrect assumptions.  Read what it actually says, and don't assume it works the same way that other similar sounding things work.  As the saying goes, "what do the words say?"

(For the same reason, I recommend not suing the word "save" when talking about abilities that let you roll to ignore unsaved wounds or mortal wounds.)

• Like 2

With the 2.0 books Khorne, Daughters of Khaine, Fyreslayers and the couple of others with prayers all have the ability to pray once for a warscroll prayer that can be used multiple times for each priest, once for a battletome prayer provided they know one that hasn’t been attempted yet, and once for judgement/invocations.

so up to three prayers per priest is possible.

It should be right at the top of where you pick the Fyreslayers prayers. 

The Daughters of Khaine version goes:

”Each PRIEST in a DAUGHTERS OF KHAINE army knows one of the following prayers...

...A model that knows such a prayer may pray twice in each Hero Phase instead of only once. However the prayer of Khaine prayers can only be prayed once each turn.”

Looking at the Fyreslayer Priests warscrolls it does’t say you can only use one prayer, unlike DoK and Khorne because we have multiple prayers to choose from on the warscroll so it does restrict us to one without the allegiance abilities.

So you as a Fyreslayer do get to pray your warscroll one plus the Allegiance (Though only oncefor each known prayer) prayer per priest you have, and also one attempt at a Magmic Invocation per turn. 

Edited by King Taloren

There a specific rules limiting the use of spells in the main rulebook. There are no such rules for any other abilities such as prayers. So unless otherwise stated, you can use every prayer your model knows. Prayers are simply abilities that require a roll to function and are more similar to things like the Knight Heraldors horn abilities than they are to spells.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, King Taloren said:

With the 2.0 books Khorne, Daughters of Khaine, Fyreslayers and the couple of others with prayers all have the ability to pray once for a warscroll prayer that can be used multiple times for each priest, once for a battletome prayer provided they know one that hasn’t been attempted yet, and once for judgement/invocations.

so up to three prayers per priest is possible.

Are there rules saying this?  Just had a game and friends saying fyreslayers priests can only cast 1 prayer and I have to choose to cast either the warscroll spell or one from the battletome.  

2 hours ago, King Taloren said:

It should be right at the top of where you pick the Fyreslayers prayers. 

The Daughters of Khaine version goes:

”Each PRIEST in a DAUGHTERS OF KHAINE army knows one of the following prayers...

...A model that knows such a prayer may pray twice in each Hero Phase instead of only once. However the prayer of Khaine prayers can only be prayed once each turn.”

Ahh,  I see the daughters wording but sadly the fyreslayers has no such wording about casting twice - making my friend right about casting a single prayer.    Thanks for information.