Advice for first models

Hey guys! My first models will be in the mail sometime this week! I'm starting with the new deepkin box for me, and a box of gryph hounds for my daughter. 

MY main question is about the eel riders: assemble than paint? Paint than assemble? I've never done a mounted piece before and, well, if I keep the eel and rider separate while I paint them, do I have to keep a portion unpainted to glue, or will the paint glue with basic hobby/ plastic/ super glue without an issue? 

Do the eels in sub assemblies ie eel and rider. There are plenty of awkward angles. But as mentioned above dry fit the pieces together first.

also  when gluing the arms, sit the rider unglued on the relevant eel and make sure the arm with reins aligns natural pose as its glue sets 

leave the shields off when doing the riders too

Plastic glue works by melting the plastic so if you've pre-painted the models you might end up with a runny dribble of glue that smears and could mess up the paint as it flows when you press the two parts together. For that reason (depending on how the parts to go together) many recommend using superglue. Just be sure to scrape clean the join area so that its got a portion free of any paint (otherwise you'll have a layer of paint between the superglue and that will drastically weaken the join)

Archived