Static Grass - What do you use?

Ademo

Hey guys, just wondering what static grass/flock etc you use on your bases? Where do you get it from? Do you mix? 

I've never been overly happy with the stuff I've used in the past - it's mostly been from railway stores and I've found they often appear too shiny or mixed with bits. I'd love to see what you lot use! Pictures welcome. 

(Also - if a similar thread exists already, apologies, feel free to move/shut down).

I just use a old tub of Citadel Static grass that I've had forever that I got from a local FLGS, I also use the mordheim tufts.  it is more expensive than the other brands of static grass/flock. After finishing my stormcasts I would probably buy some of the cheaper brands with varied colours for my other armies, the look just fine.

As for the shiny flock, I have heard that people dry brush the tips of their static grass and tufts to help with a more unified look (much like painting rocks on bases etc.)

I'll see if i can find better pictures of the static grass, but here are some examples..

IMG_20160706_221825577.jpg

IMG_20160706_221749738.jpg

I use a combination of Highlamd Tufts and Swamp Tufts from Army Painter, but I'm working with very sparse undergrowth. I blend it into the surrounding base detail by dirtying it up with washes. Too much makes it matt together, and can even loosen it from its adhessive base.

I've used 2mm, 4mm and 6mm loose static grass in the past with a battery-powered applicator, but I never really liked the results.

3 hours ago, APH said:

I use a combination of Highlamd Tufts and Swamp Tufts from Army Painter, but I'm working with very sparse undergrowth. I blend it into the surrounding base detail by dirtying it up with washes. Too much makes it matt together, and can even loosen it from its adhessive base.

I've used 2mm, 4mm and 6mm loose static grass in the past with a battery-powered applicator, but I never really liked the results.

I'm gonna have to try dirtying up the tufts I've used

20160730_001917.jpg

I've been using army painter grass and flowers for a while and I'm very happy with their products. It's what I used on my Lord Celestant:large.IMG_0489.jpg

The taller grass is from woodland scenics - they also do great grass and flocking products.

Lately I've been testing out products from http://www.gamersgrass.com/ with mixed results. They ship items very  quick, which is nice. Their tufts and particularly the larger tufts are some of the best I've seen. The shrub and flowers have a texture I'm not particularly fond of, so I'll probably stay with army painter for their meadow flowers product.

Archived