How to best face Daughters of Khaine?

Ashes

My next match will be 2500 points vs. DoK. Those Daughters seem to be pretty tough to fight with their Temple (5+ extra Save on MW) and MW they deal back to me when I attack (some units if I roll 1s, others when they defend with 6). Due to their Allegiance Ability they get stronger per round.

Under this circumstances is it a good strategy to hit hard with an all out Charge using Cogs to get as many units as possible into the battle in the first round?
If someone has some advice for me how to fight them it would be much appreciated.

Here´s my list I plan to use.

AoS.jpg

i played some matches against Daughters of Khaine. I know the pain.

In your List you got 9 drops. thats a lot. so you won't be able to choose who gonna start the match. Most Dok-Player will start first to buff their units. So going for a alpha strike won't help that much.

i would dropt the 10x Grimghast reapser to expand one of your 20 Chainraps Hordes to 40. I don't like Kurdoss that much. IMO Kurdoss is not that great. Maybe he can be a good choice for DoK, because most DoK-List Generlas will be the Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood. That is the centerpiece in most lists because this model gives so much buffs and ist so creazy when the Avatar is awake and the blade is buffed. Try to fucus first on the Cauldron.

A few thoughts:

1) You are right witches and sisters of slaughter with shields get to hit back and deal mortal wounds based on how hard you hit them. So you've got to factor that in a few ways:

a) Whittle them down at range - DoK are not best with range and many builds don't even have anything barring a single avatar atop a cauldron which can do much in terms of longer range attacks. So try to beat them at range.

b) Hit them first. DoK units are somewhat tough if they are buffed and have shields; but at the same time they are not super tough. Hit them hard and fast and get the first round of attacks to break them down. If you can break their numbers or otherwise lock them in combat where they can't get many into combat you can beat their higher number of attacks from whittling you down

c) Identify their hero/leader units and attempt to remove them. Or if you can't remove, try to slow them so they can't keep up. If you can entangle their cauldrons or their queens you can mess with them because their regular troops need to move forward fast to get into combat. If you've taken out or disabled their buff unit you've weakened one corner of their army. 

d) Witches don't have rending, so a good save can help you against their numbers, however they've got a spell which gives them rending so - again - keep an eye on those leaders and disable them if you can.

In general they are a glass-cannon close combat army. Weaker at range (they have some ranged units but mostly they are closer to skirmisher than dedicated ranged units, so they fire whilst moving forward as they want to be in close combat too) and reliant on buffs. As you identify the also get bonuses each turn so hitting them fast can help, just remember they also want to get into close combat fast too. 

Keep an eye on the objectives too; if they've taken khinerai (winged harpies) then be weary of them leaping in to go for loan objectives; to contest them and going after your archers and artillery. 

40 minutes ago, Bademeister said:

i played some matches against Daughters of Khaine. I know the pain.

In your List you got 9 drops. thats a lot. so you won't be able to choose who gonna start the match. Most Dok-Player will start first to buff their units. So going for a alpha strike won't help that much.

i would dropt the 10x Grimghast reapser to expand one of your 20 Chainraps Hordes to 40. I don't like Kurdoss that much. IMO Kurdoss is not that great. Maybe he can be a good choice for DoK, because most DoK-List Generlas will be the Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood. That is the centerpiece in most lists because this model gives so much buffs and ist so creazy when the Avatar is awake and the blade is buffed. Try to fucus first on the Cauldron.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes it´s a lot of drops but I already gave up to have any chance to decide who´s going first turn. My opponent uses Battalions and deploys all of that units at once….so I would´ve to reduce my units even more to have any chance (and I´m no friend of our battalions). 40 Rasps is all I own and depending on the mission (which we roll for just before the game begins) I like to have some flexibility to distribute two units of them to secure mission objectives.

Kurdoss actually worked quite well for me so far. His dmg output can get quite ridicules if you roll one or two sixes on the wound roll. Last game he took down one Cauldron all alone.

My idea is to deepstrike 20bladegheists, 30 reapers, banshees, kurdoss, 1 guardian and the knight onto his Cauldron, Shrine and witches.

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

A few thoughts:

1) You are right witches and sisters of slaughter with shields get to hit back and deal mortal wounds based on how hard you hit them. So you've got to factor that in a few ways:

a) Whittle them down at range - DoK are not best with range and many builds don't even have anything barring a single avatar atop a cauldron which can do much in terms of longer range attacks. So try to beat them at range.

b) Hit them first. DoK units are somewhat tough if they are buffed and have shields; but at the same time they are not super tough. Hit them hard and fast and get the first round of attacks to break them down. If you can break their numbers or otherwise lock them in combat where they can't get many into combat you can beat their higher number of attacks from whittling you down

c) Identify their hero/leader units and attempt to remove them. Or if you can't remove, try to slow them so they can't keep up. If you can entangle their cauldrons or their queens you can mess with them because their regular troops need to move forward fast to get into combat. If you've taken out or disabled their buff unit you've weakened one corner of their army. 

d) Witches don't have rending, so a good save can help you against their numbers, however they've got a spell which gives them rending so - again - keep an eye on those leaders and disable them if you can.

In general they are a glass-cannon close combat army. Weaker at range (they have some ranged units but mostly they are closer to skirmisher than dedicated ranged units, so they fire whilst moving forward as they want to be in close combat too) and reliant on buffs. As you identify the also get bonuses each turn so hitting them fast can help, just remember they also want to get into close combat fast too. 

Keep an eye on the objectives too; if they've taken khinerai (winged harpies) then be weary of them leaping in to go for loan objectives; to contest them and going after your archers and artillery. 

Thanks for your feedback. Some thoughts regarding range and rend. Unfortunately imo the Nighthaunts don´t have any really good range unit (beside one ability of Lady O and the missle attack of the Chainghast). So it will always get close combat. Rend I´m not afraid of, because NH ignore rend, I just have to watch out for my allies. 

After going all out attack last time (with mixed success) my DoK player already announced that he´ll play it slowly this time and wait to get his to hit/wound buffs before he comes to charge me. If he sticks to this I´m happy to come over to his side of the table first :)

You´re right regarding the Khinerai, have to watch out for them to not steal any objectives-

Archived