Proxys - or legitimate Oldhammer models? Advice needed please!

Mcthew

Back in the day, during the World that Was, not content with owning one Regiment of Renown, I was given two boxes of Nightmare Legion - 40 skels in chainmail, with helmets and two-handed halberds, and whole lot of vengeful spirit!

The stats for these guys I recall were a little souped up, the equivalent of AoS Graveguard so it got me thinking whether these are legitimate Graveguard models for matched play? Certainly in private games I can use them that way, but are they a legitimate proxy for Graveguard in tournaments? (They’re too armoured for standard skels in my book.)

What do you think..?

6CF236D4-2E25-41FE-864E-69C7D32F5D2A.jpeg

Edited by Mcthew
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, michu said:

I think your good using it as Grave Guard. Just be sure to check their height (they're old so probably shorter than modern grave guard) and add some rubble to base for height correction. Other than that they're perfect.

Brilliant - thanks. Basing will be a challenge so I’m gonna look at converting the square bases to chunkier rounds of 25mm.

I have a nurgle army that consists of nothing but 80s miniatures, an army of oldhammer fimir that I used to use as ogre kingdoms in 8th edition and I am currently working on/rebasing an army of c36 hobgoblins to use as gloomspite gits. No one has ever had a problem with my armies. I think AOS as a super "big" open ended setting gives players an awesome chance to explore the rich history of Games Workshop and Citadel miniatures in building unique armies.

Only thing I try to do when using old models is to keep model heights relatively similar. I wouldn't worry too much about the nightmare legion guys or other human sized models as while they are smaller than new models the height difference is unlikely to ever be meaningful in game. The only time to worry about models that size and put them up on a built up base is if you are going to mix and match them with newer larger models in units. Where I would recommend making use of scenic bases is with older monster models like giants, greater daemons, some of the dragons (most are actually pretty big and some are really big though). Ask someone who has the current model if they can measure how tall it is so you can plan out a scenic base that will give appropriate height to your model.

Edited by herohammer
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, herohammer said:

I have a nurgle army that consists of nothing but 80s miniatures, an army of oldhammer fimir that I used to use as ogre kingdoms in 8th edition and I am currently working on/rebasing an army of c36 hobgoblins to use as gloomspite gits. No one has ever had a problem with my armies. I think AOS as a super "big" open ended setting gives players an awesome chance to explore the rich history of Games Workshop and Citadel miniatures in building unique armies.

Only thing I try to do when using old models is to keep model heights relatively similar. I wouldn't worry too much about the nightmare legion guys or other human sized models as while they are smaller than new models the height difference is unlikely to ever be meaningful in game. The only time to worry about models that size and put them up on a built up base is if you are going to mix and match them with newer larger models in units. Where I would recommend making use of scenic bases is with older monster models like giants, greater daemons, some of the dragons (most are actually pretty big and some are really big though). Ask someone who has the current model if they can measure how tall it is so you can plan out a scenic base that will give appropriate height to your model.

Thanks - that’s great advice. Much appreciated. I’ve got an Oldhammer zombie dragon that’s quite decrepit (as you’d expect but more so) that’s so stooping it’s lower than a SC Liberator. I reckon if I base it appropriately it may be the equal of current zombie dragons and save me a few quid!

• 5 months later...