Alternative Marauders That Look Like They Belong in the North?

themortalgod

So I'm working on a classic northern themed Slaves army that I want to actually look like it hails from a snowy, northern climate. Which is fine for all the armored chaos models as many of cloaks and all are completely covered up. 

The GW marauders, however, are a different story, not only do the models kind of suck but they look like they are straight out of Conan. Does anyone know of any alternative models made by other companies that have more of a northern tribal look? Game of Thrones Wildlings being a good example. Lots of fur and leather coverings. Very rugged but also makeshift. 

thanks for any help!

Thanks dude, these actually are decent, though I was hoping for a bit more heavy winter gear. These dudes look like they would be fine in 0 degrees but would be in trouble at -35 degrees. (no gloves, bare arms, etc)  My hope is to find something super nordic, the sorts of warriors who could survive in the extreme cold by say Greenland standards of northern Canada. 

You can't tell from the pictures above, but the Frostgrave plastic barbarians look very Nordic and are actually quite rugged-up with cloaks and fur vambraces etc. I have 40 of them and they are soooo much better than GW Marauders...

10 hours ago, Roark said:

You can't tell from the pictures above, but the Frostgrave plastic barbarians look very Nordic and are actually quite rugged-up with cloaks and fur vambraces etc. I have 40 of them and they are soooo much better than GW Marauders...

Hmm, I guess I could paint the hands "as if" they are wearing gloves but the bare arms still bug me. Are there enough pieces on the sprue not to build any with bare arms?

7 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Hmm, I guess I could paint the hands "as if" they are wearing gloves but the bare arms still bug me. Are there enough pieces on the sprue not to build any with bare arms?

They're only bare from halfway down the bicep to the elbow (where the vambraces end), but they all seem to be that way. Fair enough if that's a showstopper.

1 hour ago, Roark said:

They're only bare from halfway down the bicep to the elbow (where the vambraces end), but they all seem to be that way. Fair enough if that's a showstopper.

Yeah, I may end up still going with them as there may be no better options but I'd really like to get the feel that these guys could survive in the coldest wasteland imaginable. In a place where bare hands or arms would mean frostbite. I'd love to find models with big thick pelts from head to toe with only maybe the head left uncovered. 

The Frostgrave models feel very "Sherwood Forest at Christmas" to me whereas I'd love more of "Arctic Tundra in January" sort of feel. Tribesman who have survived the harshest climate imaginable through sheer force of will and the ability to overcome great beasts to cover themselves in pelts that are utterly critical to their survival. 

Archived