Skaven Warlod's Dilemma Part 2

Riff_Raff_Rascal

Question

Skritch Spiteclaw's command ability VS Generic warlord's command ability. Does the FAQ that changes "Skaven Warlod"'s command ability "Gnash-gnaw on their bones!" also affect Skritch who also has the exact same named command ability? The FAQ calls out "Skaven Warlord" as in the warscroll itself, but I'm unsure if the format of these FAQs refer to the keywords on each warscroll or the unit's name up top. Its the built in redundancy of each warscroll that has me all confused. 

Heres the Chaos allegience FAQ for reference https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_grand_alliance_chaos_errata_en.pdf

I can only assume there will be another fix soon but in the mean time would like to employ cheaty skaven tactics and justify using skritch while his command ability doen't currently require to be "wholly within"

5 answers to this question

Spiteclaw's command ability is actually different from the normal warlord in that only he can use his own ability, which gives an extra attack to a unit within 13" in the combat phase. A regular warlord can use Spiteclaw as a medium for their command ability, since the name of the ability is the same, but then it would be "wholly within 13"

To put it simply;

Spiteclaw can give an extra attack to a verminus unit within 13" of himself (and only himself) in the combat phase. No limitations on how many times you activate it.

A Warlord can give an extra attack to a verminus unit wholly within 13" of himself, or any other model with that command ability (i.e: any other warlord, or Spiteclaw), but can't stack it several times on the same unit.

(Interesting tidbit; The Warlord on Brood horror is also able to stack his command ability more than once, mind that this one specifically happens at the start of combat phase, as opposed to before you fight with a verminus unit, so you have to activate it earlier than you would the regular warlord's or Spiteclaw's ;) )

6 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Skritch Spiteclaw's command ability VS Generic warlord's command ability. Does the FAQ that changes "Skaven Warlod"'s command ability "Gnash-gnaw on their bones!" also affect Skritch who also has the exact same named command ability? The FAQ calls out "Skaven Warlord" as in the warscroll itself, but I'm unsure if the format of these FAQs refer to the keywords on each warscroll or the unit's name up top. Its the built in redundancy of each warscroll that has me all confused. 

Heres the Chaos allegience FAQ for reference https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_grand_alliance_chaos_errata_en.pdf

I can only assume there will be another fix soon but in the mean time would like to employ cheaty skaven tactics and justify using skritch while his command ability doen't currently require to be "wholly within"

The main problem is. They can't write Skritch Spiteclaw's into the "Grand Alliance Chaos" Errata, because he isn't part of the printed Grand Alliance Chaos Book.

In the end GW had simple forgotten to update the Shadespire Warbands in an own Errata, when it was changed in a similar model.

@EMMachine Thats what I thought. I thought I was going crazy that I couldn't find eratta for shadespire warscrolls. They must be just perfect the way they are. Ha. 

@Mayple Oh wow, didn't see the brood horror difference there. Huh. What you layed out is pretty much the RAW of the warscrolls. After some thought, I may still want to withhold abusing this as my friends are under the impression they all work the same because of the command abilitie's name. And honestly, I generally don't need to death star stormvermin that hard anyways and should keep command points in reserve as a smart skaven general would.

@Riff_Raff_Rascal Don't worry. You wouldn't be abusing anything :) Compare it to the Greenskinz orc warboss (most similar ability and theme as Verminus) and you'll quickly discover that our poor Skaven Warlord's command abilities are severely underpowered when viewed side-by-side. 

And while I think it is fitting that Skaven don't go out there and trample enemies to death so easily, there is a -massive- difference in offensive output. You really, really do not have to be afraid of stomping your friends by using Skritch's ability as written. Even then, it is very much on the weak side. 

Edit; 
To illustrate; That feeling you get when you buff your clanrats/stormvermin with a warlord, send them forth and drop a bunch of wounds on whatever enemy you sent them at? That feeling of accomplishment? Turns out most other combat based factions gets that from their normal units from the get-go :P For very much the same price. See Gitmob Grots, Greenskinz Orruks, and Brayherd Gors for examples.

(Not to say that Verminus has nothing to offer (big fan), this is simply to underline the point that you're not exactly using any unfair advantages by going RAW, since that really only allows you to stay on par, at the cost of command points)

@MaypleTotally agree. Its a lot of work making a single unit of rats scary. Every game I try to get at least 1 pack of stormvermin on a +2/+3 re-rolling 1's, extra attacks, and pile-in attack on death. The work? A spell, a General within 3', a command trait to proc, and at least two command abilities. At times, clanrats can be doin' this too. Fun stuff. But again, lots of work.

Archived