[2000] - Seraphon - Casual player looking for some casual advice

ServiceGames

Hey all,

I am looking to build a 2000 point Seraphon list to play casually.  I may bring it to a tournament or to, but I'm not planning on making the top 4 or anything.  I just want to go and play.  I also want to play some casual games at my local GW shop.  I'd prefer to win some games... maybe about as many as I lose, but winning isn't as big of a deal as just having some fun.  As always, suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome.

Here's my Seraphon list:

Leaders (3)
1 x Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (General - 240)
1 x Engine of the Gods (220)
1 x Skink Starpriest (80)

Battlelines
20 x Skinks (120)
20 x Skinks (120)
20 x Saurus Warriors (200)
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
5 x Saurus Knights (90)

Artillery
1 x Razordons (40)

Behemoths
1 x Troglodon (160)

Other Units
3 x Terradon Riders (120)
3 x Skink Handlers (40)

Warscroll Battalions
1 x Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
1 x Firelance Starhost (150)

Endless Spells
1 x The Burning Head (40)

Total: 1980

Thanks in advance!

SG

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It looks very interesting.

as long as your not after the victory, this might be a fun army to be played against and with.

anyways, wish you good luck and mostly a good time.

Do you think this army would lose all the time or could it win a few games?  As a random aside, would removing the Firelance Starhost and the Knights to add a Bastiladon instead, would that make a difference?  Or, in this case, would I need Kroak to make a big enough difference?

Thanks in advance

SG

1 minute ago, ServiceGames said:

Do you think this army would lose all the time or could it win a few games?  As a random aside, would removing the Firelance Starhost and the Knights to add a Bastiladon instead, would that make a difference?  Or, in this case, would I need Kroak to make a big enough difference?

Thanks in advance

SG

Well it depends on what event or tournament your going to play this army.

if it is one of those big ones you have a possibility of loosing every match, since shooting like the sick marines have, will be a big problem for you.

and this is probably one of the army’s you’ll mostly see one such big events.

if it is more of a smaller kind where like 10-20people play against who aren’t really too much interested in playing the right now most competitive army , you’ll have a good chance of winning with your currently armylist.

7 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well it depends on what event or tournament your going to play this army.

if it is one of those big ones you have a possibility of loosing every match, since shooting like the sick marines have, will be a big problem for you.

and this is probably one of the army’s you’ll mostly see one such big events.

if it is more of a smaller kind where like 10-20people play against who aren’t really too much interested in playing the right now most competitive army , you’ll have a good chance of winning with your currently armylist.

Thank you!  I appreciate the info.  It'll mostly be at my local GW... just friendly pickup games.  That said, I might attend a local tournament or two. 

Thanks again!

SG

EDIT: I've just been looking at the Bastiladon model for probably over a year now, but I couldn't justify spending the money on the model.  Do you think a Bastiladon would be helpful, or is my current list better without it?

Bastiladons a Great unit to destroy big blobs of units they are also great in sniping hero’s and are almost unkillable.

A bastiladon could improve your army, but you’d have to take 1 of your battalions out and maybe even some sort of hero/unit.

if this isn’t something you want, I would just stick with the list/army you have right now.

also loosing or winning a couple of games may give you some intel in how your army works  best.

Anyways good luck, and happy wargaming.

As a fellow casual Seraphon player, I can tell you that I like the way you're approaching the list (fun first!). Don't forget that the two battalions means you can access three artifacts of power (in your list, that gives you one per hero, which is nice).

That said, I'm honestly a little concerned how exactly you're going to kill anything. I've traditionally had a lot of trouble with offensive firepower with my Seraphon.

In my experience (note: I've never used the Firelance Starhost), Saurus Knights are unreliable at best. They'll have synergy with the Scar-Veteran, but I don't know that I'd even recommend using the command point on them for his ability anyway. Troglodons can be good (2 damage per attack on a lot of dice) but without rend are reliant on your opponent flubbing his/her save rolls for the damage to get through. The 20x Skink units aren't large enough for the "to hit" bonuses to make them effective snipers, either.

To get more offense, you could try to substitute in some Saurus Guard. While critically vulnerable to mortal wounds (as most units in the game are supposed to be), Saurus Guard pack a lot of punch -- but they're not efficient for their points if you're playing matched play. Bastiladons are resilient to mortal wounds and are rather killy as well, so I would definitely recommend one or more. I've found that the laser turtle (Bastiladon with Solar Engine) can be very effective but often needs to be close to an Astrolith Bearer (reroll all hits) or benefit from a Stegadon's Skink Alpha (reroll hit rolls of 1) to have its full impact. It's a bit swingy. The snake turtle (Bastiladon with Ark of Sotek) has been, in my experience, much more effective on a game-to-game basis. Throw him out front with Summon Starlight and/or Mystic Shield and watch attacks bounce off him while his snakes slowly eat away the enemy units (assuming your opponent has a few units clumped together for your snakes to strike at a bunch of them). If you plan carefully, you could magnetize and/or pin the fixture on the Bastiladon's back to be able to go back and forth to get the best of both worlds.

I'm also wary of taking an endless spell with just one wizard in your army -- and a flimsy one at that. Access to a single spell per turn with 4 wounds on a 5+ save means he's far from assured to be able to cast the endless spell during the game. Have you considered a Slann Starmaster instead/in addition?

Anyway, there's my two cents (or maybe more -- I guess this has been a somewhat rambling response) on your list. Again, I'm primarily a casual player myself, so I recommend a few doses of salt with my advice. I can speak from experience but not from strong generalship.

Good luck!

Archived