Shadow Realm range reduction.

Black Blade

Question

I'm aware of a few realm features in the realm of shadow that reduce both spell and missile weapon attacks. Some of these interactions are obvious to me, your bow guys have a reduced range, your arcane bolt range is reduced... etc. However I'm curious about how this interacts with endless spells which don't exactly have a range so much as a deep striking ability given that they are treated as friendly units. Furthermore what about spells like Spiritstorm on the Knight Incantor the range is an AoE that doesn't require targeting, line of sight etc.?

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Endless spells are not affected. I think there was an FAQ which answered this.?

spiritstorm should also  be affected since it‘s  a range (compare the wording to arcane bolt)

The FAQ states that ranges for endless spells cannot be increased. There is no such restriction stated or implied about decreasing the range. I would expect the range to be limited in that realm. 

5 hours ago, rokapoke said:

The FAQ states that ranges for endless spells cannot be increased. There is no such restriction stated or implied about decreasing the range. I would expect the range to be limited in that realm. 

I disagree since you don't just target something, but you place the spell (Set up a Purple sun wholly within...") It's therefor not a Spell-Range but a placement-distance restriction. ?

5 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I disagree since you don't just target something, but you place the spell (Set up a Purple sun wholly within...") It's therefor not a Spell-Range but a placement-distance restriction. ?

That's a reach. Can you demonstrate the difference between "Set up within" and "Pick a unit within" where one is affected as a 'range' and one isn't?

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Once is pick, the other is place.

One is a spell range, the other is placed.

That‘s the way I see it.

additionally: if an ability can‘t increase an E.S. range, why should another be allowed To lower it?

As "range" isn't a defined quantity it's not backed up by the reading as it currently stands; both are effects that occur at a distance.

Similarly, the FAQ specifically refers to increasing. It could have been worded differently to just "modifies".

You could well be right in terms of RAI, but it'll take the next iteration of the FAQ to confirm the RAW.

Archived