Slaanesh without chariots

SorryLizard

Hi,

I'm looking through the different army options in AoS and was wondering if it was possible to create a semi-competitive (as in, not tournament meta but won't be casually curbstomped) army that does not use any of the chariots or chariot-alike things in the Slaanesh army?

The summoning rules for this army look cool to play with as the big draw but the chariot models IMO look awful and fiddly.

2 hours ago, SorryLizard said:

Hi,

I'm looking through the different army options in AoS and was wondering if it was possible to create a semi-competitive (as in, not tournament meta but won't be casually curbstomped) army that does not use any of the chariots or chariot-alike things in the Slaanesh army?

The summoning rules for this army look cool to play with as the big draw but the chariot models IMO look awful and fiddly.

If what you want is fun, try:

KoS

Lord on Snake

DP

Herald

2x5 hellstriders

2x30 daemonettes

Fill in any left over points as you see fit....

14 minutes ago, SorryLizard said:

What about this particular group of units do you feel is special or uniquely fun?

Use invaders for the 3 generals, give one of them (probably KoS) Allure of Slaanesh CT. This gives you 2 heroes who are -1 to hit. When you move up, each of these should be on a flank, with the DP in the center. Daemonettes on either side of him, w/ helstriders next to and slightly behind, them. This gies you a large area of -1 to hit on all of your units, as well as -2 on 2 of your heroes.

Choose whateer artifact you like, but I like either the circlet or one of the many cool ones that can be found in Malign Sorcery.

It's a pretty fast, choppy list, and surprisingly  resilient.

2 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Use invaders for the 3 generals, give one of them (probably KoS) Allure of Slaanesh CT. This gives you 2 heroes who are -1 to hit. When you move up, each of these should be on a flank, with the DP in the center. Daemonettes on either side of him, w/ helstriders next to and slightly behind, them. This gies you a large area of -1 to hit on all of your units, as well as -2 on 2 of your heroes.

Choose whateer artifact you like, but I like either the circlet or one of the many cool ones that can be found in Malign Sorcery.

It's a pretty fast, choppy list, and surprisingly  resilient.

Definitely sounds the part!

So, in your opinion you can get away without the chariots?

12 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

With some careful converting they can look quite fitting with the dark prince

36358264904_f33e075dcd_c.jpg

37004996986_e91ce3ac08_c.jpg

or use the dark elf segway chariot bodies with chaos chariot bits and seekers.

Has anyone looked at the Idolon of matalan and thought with a bit of work he'd make an amazing Slaanesh chaos lord? :)

Would need a sabot base or something to get them up to the correct base size? Or does AoS not care about base sizes?

those are on the old standard chariot bases, so the new AoS base that comes with the chariot will more than suffice, and give you more basing real estate as well.

16 minutes ago, SorryLizard said:

Would need a sabot base or something to get them up to the correct base size? Or does AoS not care about base sizes?

1 hour ago, SorryLizard said:

Definitely sounds the part!

So, in your opinion you can get away without the chariots?

Sure. I've played this list, or variations of it, several times in casual games. It's almost too powerful for 'casual' gaming, actually.?

It's totally possible to create a strong list without chariots. In fact, I'd say chariots are among our weakest offerings. In my experience, the chariots are mostly just good for tying small stuff up or slowing things down. They are relatively hardy compared to other slaaneshi daemon units, but are outclassed in both speed and bite by other options. The exception being the exalted seeker chariot, which can dish out quite a few MWs on the charge and is a good pool of hero wounds for depravity purposes. 

As for myself, I usually throw one or two chariots in my lists. Good for rounding out points, and they usually earn their keep by locking down a flanking unit for a turn or two. An economic choice for running down uncontested satellite objectives. But you could certainly get by with other options!

3 hours ago, PensivePanther said:

It's totally possible to create a strong list without chariots. In fact, I'd say chariots are among our weakest offerings. In my experience, the chariots are mostly just good for tying small stuff up or slowing things down. They are relatively hardy compared to other slaaneshi daemon units, but are outclassed in both speed and bite by other options. The exception being the exalted seeker chariot, which can dish out quite a few MWs on the charge and is a good pool of hero wounds for depravity purposes. 

As for myself, I usually throw one or two chariots in my lists. Good for rounding out points, and they usually earn their keep by locking down a flanking unit for a turn or two. An economic choice for running down uncontested satellite objectives. But you could certainly get by with other options!

Good to know :)

I might wait to see what the teases about Slaanesh turn out to be but I might be jumping in.

12 hours ago, PensivePanther said:

Sorry for derailing the topic, but while I've never been taken with any of the regular chariots, I will say that I never leave home without 2 Heralds on Exalted Chariots. I'm a huge fan of them, and they've always pulled their weight in my lists. They're also my go-to's for summoning once I start racking up some Depravity Points.

Getting back to the original question, it's definitely doable without chariots. My approach to building a Slaanesh Daemons list pretty much always maxes out on heroes to make the most use of the Depravity Point mechanic, and I find our heroes are just generally good. Echoing what others have said, a couple KoS-es, a Daemon Prince, and then a few heralds runs you at about 800 points. Following this I'd cram in at least 3 units of Daemonettes (preferably maxed out), which will leave you about 400 points for some flavour units. A unit or 2 of Hellstriders should help out your models with the -1 to hit and cover some objective grabbing, and the remaining points into Seekers for objective grabbing/board control. So to summarise, something like this (1990 points off the top of my head)...

KoSecrets
KoSecrets
Daemon Prince
Herald on Steed
Herald on Steed
Herald on Steed

3 x 30 Daemonettes
2 x 5 Hellstriders

1 x 5 Seekers of Slaanesh

This isn't my standard list, but should be able to keep up with the best of them.

Archived