Nighthaunt Plog (Redux)

Hi all,

I had previously started a Nighthaunt plog (the Deathshroud) and whilst I was relatively happy with how the models came out it wasn't quite the look I was after. So, my new approach (heavily influenced by Zatcaskagoon on Twitter) looks to blend the classic ghostly blue/green spirit look with the horror/bloodied robes that were my first attempt.

I have just finished my first 10 Grimghast Reapers and as an overall effect I'm much happier with the feel of them. As you can see in the pictures there are some horrendous join lines that I will be looking to rectify and avoind on future units. This unit was very much a test piece for some of the new techniques I'm trying such as bits of airbrushing (prior to this I was an airbrush virgin) and use of oil paints for parts. They're far from perfect but I'm happy with the general direction and I should hopefully be able to fine tune stuff as the army develops.

Enough rambling, here are the first models of the as yet named army...

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

On 8/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, Bottler Barnes said:

Hi all,

I had previously started a Nighthaunt plog (the Deathshroud) and whilst I was relatively happy with how the models came out it wasn't quite the look I was after. So, my new approach (heavily influenced by Zatcaskagoon on Twitter) looks to blend the classic ghostly blue/green spirit look with the horror/bloodied robes that were my first attempt.

I have just finished my first 10 Grimghast Reapers and as an overall effect I'm much happier with the feel of them. As you can see in the pictures there are some horrendous join lines that I will be looking to rectify and avoind on future units. This unit was very much a test piece for some of the new techniques I'm trying such as bits of airbrushing (prior to this I was an airbrush virgin) and use of oil paints for parts. They're far from perfect but I'm happy with the general direction and I should hopefully be able to fine tune stuff as the army develops.

Enough rambling, here are the first models of the as yet named army...

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

Your warpstone torches look fantastic??

Looking good!  The join lines down the middle I found I could largely fix by "overgluing" and then sanding the excess glue away once dry.  Odd bits needed some Vallejo putty but that was it.  One tip I would give is the last model you show (double handed over the head swing), don't apply too much at the shoulder point as the undercut is quite deep and it's a nightmare to get a knife or file in to tidy up!

Archived