Gnarlroot and Forest Spirits

Vextol

Question

I'm SURE this has been asked, but I searched, failed, and am now posting.

Can a wizard in a Sylvaneth Gnarlroot be setup in the 'hidden enclaves' utilizing the "Forest Spirits" rule.  Rule says this:

Instead of setting up a Sylvaneth unit or battalion, you can place it to one side and say it is setup as part of your army in one of the hidden enclaves.

So, say I have a battlemage in the gnarlroot, because gnarlroot can take an order wizard-can he hide with his friends?  The rule does not specify that units with the Sylvaneth keyword inside a battalion can be setup in the hidden enclaves, it just says 'battalion'.  I would assume this includes the order wizard.

Also, can this be done piecewise as is typical for battalion deployment or does it have to be the whole thing?  Again, it says 'battalion' as in entirety.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

No, because allies may not benefit from allegiance abilities. And according to the recent designer's commentary in the LoN book, not even ones their keywords qualify them for later in the game off of triggered abilities (allied death units don't get a deathless minions save, for example).

Non-sylvaneth units within a battalion are still allies, they just don't count against your limits on allies (400pts and 1/4 units).

On 8/22/2018 at 4:07 AM, heywoah_twitch said:

No, because allies may not benefit from allegiance abilities. And according to the recent designer's commentary in the LoN book, not even ones their keywords qualify them for later in the game off of triggered abilities (allied death units don't get a deathless minions save, for example).

Non-sylvaneth units within a battalion are still allies, they just don't count against your limits on allies (400pts and 1/4 units).

That seems reasonable. Given that, how could you deploy the Gnarlroot battalion? Could you put the allied Wizard on the table and the Sylvaneth units in the Enclaves as a single drop, or would you have to break them up for deployment purposes?

1 hour ago, Kadeton said:

That seems reasonable. Given that, how could you deploy the Gnarlroot battalion? Could you put the allied Wizard on the table and the Sylvaneth units in the Enclaves as a single drop, or would you have to break them up for deployment purposes?

Yes, you can still deploy as single drop, even if setting up in different places.

I believe you can set up the Battalion as a whole in the hidden enclaves - including the Order Wizard component of the Gnarlroot.

If you choose to deploy unit by unit then you wouldn’t be able to deploy the Order Wizard hidden as it lacks the necassary Sylvaneth key word

You can’t deploy the ORDER wizard in with the sylvaneth in the trees through forest spirits. He must be placed elsewhere because he doesn’t have the Sylvaneth keyword. Page 7 of the core rule design commentary calls it out that allies in a battalion are still treated as allies for all other intents and purposes aside from counting against points and Allies taken. And specifically call out gnarlroot by name.

45 minutes ago, ppetford said:

I believe you can set up the Battalion as a whole in the hidden enclaves - including the Order Wizard component of the Gnarlroot.

If you choose to deploy unit by unit then you wouldn’t be able to deploy the Order Wizard hidden as it lacks the necassary Sylvaneth key word

This is literally true. It’s quite emphatic about setting up a whole battalion in the enclaves.

Does cost you a hero phase to cast spells though.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:20 PM, King Taloren said:

You can’t deploy the ORDER wizard in with the sylvaneth in the trees through forest spirits. He must be placed elsewhere because he doesn’t have the Sylvaneth keyword. Page 7 of the core rule design commentary calls it out that allies in a battalion are still treated as allies for all other intents and purposes aside from counting against points and Allies taken. And specifically call out gnarlroot by name.

THIS!

And also, core book page 242 - allies and warscroll battalions

Archived