Starting ironjawz!

Blitzel

Oi ladz!

For AoS 2.0 I have picked up Ironjawz for a small build, paint, play campaign-ish event. We all start with a start collecting and add stuff along the way, as long people can afford it.

Our first pledge is due the end of September. Then we want to have finished our start collecting models. (I added some brutes and a weirdnob, because I wanted a small army I could play with).

Anyway. I wanted to try and keep so.e kind of log here. To motivate myself.

I built everything and finished 3 'Ardboyz so far. The rest of the 'Ardboyz and warchanter are in base colours and washed. The armour will be bronze with black and orange. Decorated with orange or black flame glyphs. I hope you like my Burning Tusks Warclan!

WAAAAAGH!!!

20180628_083807.jpg

20180622_215926.jpg

20180712_141756.jpg

20180712_141909.jpg

Wow thats a fantastic selection of models and you've really nailed the theme of the army well done. Nice painting it's better than my finished models. Keep us updated and maybe tell us how your games go? I'm about to make my first Ironjawz purchase (start collecting) but I want to know what to pair with it.

Great job and welcome to ironjawz!

The start collecting box is fantastic. It's a shame they discontinued the weirdnob warband in the UK because that was awesome to. 

Remember that you can have as many banners or drummers as you want in a unit of ardboys so you should build up all the ones you have options for.

A Megaboss on foot (Footboss) is a great addition to your fledgling ironjawz force after the start collecting. It gives you a strong general with a nice CA and lets you really utilise the ironjawz allegiance which gives +2 if your general is a megaboss.

After that either a second SC or brutes, If you can find a weirdnob warband it's a perfect addition.

Thanks @fanatical-mushroom-addict, @malakree.

I am thinking of just buying the "Ironjawz army" box. Basically the SC + brutes & megaboss. With an iron fist battalion that will put me at 1480. After that I think a maw-krusha to get to 2000 points. 

My 1000 points  army will be;

1 Megaboss 

1 warchanter 

1 weirdnob shaman

10 'Ardboyz

10 'Ardboyz

5 brutes

3 gore gruntas. 

Just to build on the megaboss idea... allying in a regular greenskinz warboss allows you to use his command ability (+1 attack to all orruks) in conjunction with the megaboss' ability to get +2 attacks. Stacked with the warchanter and you have a hell of a combo to hit them hard with.

i dunno if its legal but if so im doing it.

19 minutes ago, fanatical-mushroom-addict said:

Just to build on the megaboss idea... allying in a regular greenskinz warboss allows you to use his command ability (+1 attack to all orruks) in conjunction with the megaboss' ability to get +2 attacks. Stacked with the warchanter and you have a hell of a combo to hit them hard with.

Hmmmzzz!!!! Food for thought!

32 minutes ago, fanatical-mushroom-addict said:

It's legal. You can also just waaagh! multiple times with a single megaboss but at lower unit counts its less efficient than just using the GS Waaaghboss

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice OP and good luck with them.  I'm in almost the exact same position as you.  I did however luck out and my local GW still had a Weirdnob Warband box cluttering up space behind the till.  I snapped that up instantly and have recently added a start collecting box and a Megaboss on foot.  I already have the Shadespire Ironskulls Boyz box of 4 models so they will be conscripted into the horde as well.  It's not even all assembled yet but I was going for black armour already and I'm so stealing that orange flame idea.  It really looks good.

Due to my luck in finding the warband box I have decided on this for my first 1000 points.

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Battalions
Weirdfist (180)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 69

It's almost certainly not optimal but the idea is simple.  I can swap between Weirdfist and Ironfist battalions to alter how the list runs and I also have a little bit of everything which will help me decide how I want to expand out to 2000 points eventually.  Plus I only need to paint 21 models.  Mind you I paint so slowly that might take years!  :)

please keep posting here as I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

54 minutes ago, paul7926 said:

It's almost certainly not optimal but the idea is simple.  I can swap between Weirdfist and Ironfist battalions to alter how the list runs and I also have a little bit of everything which will help me decide how I want to expand out to 2000 points eventually.  Plus I only need to paint 21 models.  Mind you I paint so slowly that might take years:)

This is exactly the list I started with. It's a great basis to try out all the different units and get a feel for them.

It took me about 6 months to get up to 2000 and after about a year I've finally finished the base for my first cabbage giving me all the pieces for a mega battalion.

My one regret at this point is not magnetising the brute weapons so I could swap between the different options. I have 1 block of 10 with 2h which I wish I could swap into 2 units of 10 with two brute choppas. Sadly I'm even lacking the extra boss with claw and Smasha.

As a piece of advice for when you are building up the army.

Magnetize the gg topknots, they are one of the bits most likely to get broken and have a premade space to hide both the magnets in.

Similarly magnetize your megaboss onto you Mawkrusha and his banner onto. It makes both far less likely to break and much easier to transport.

Archived