First Turn Priority - AOS 2

Yeled

Question

I have a question regarding first battle round turn priority. In the Age of Sigmar 2 Core Rules, in the first part of the Battle Rounds section, the text reads:

"At the start of each battle round, the players must roll off, and the winner decides who takes the first turn. If the roll-off is a tie, then the player who went first in the last battle round can choose who goes first in this one, but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn."

The second sentence is worded poorly and ambiguously. I take it the clause that says ..."but if it is the first battle round, the player that finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn" is modifying the first part of the sentence and only comes into effect in the event of a tie on the priority roll. However, it is possible the intent is to say that there is no priority roll during the first battle round and the player who finished setting up first simply chooses, as was the case with AoS 1.

Do we have any insight into how this is supposed to work? Do you roll for turn priority in the first Battle Round? My apologies if this has been addressed (perhaps over and over). I did a quick search and didn't find the answer. Thanks!

3 answers to this question

You read it correctly for how it's worded. The second half of the sentence is still talking about what to do in the case of ties however they messed up, and the words they wrote are not what they meant.

FAQ and Errata are that the person who finishes dropping first choses who goes first outright, and only in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th battlerounds do you roll.

2 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

You read it correctly for how it's worded. The second half of the sentence is still talking about what to do in the case of ties however they messed up, and the words they wrote are not what they meant.

FAQ and Errata are that the person who finishes dropping first choses who goes first outright, and only in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th battlerounds do you roll.

Ah, so it's still first to finish setting up decides who goes first? I was really hoping they had changed that.

I'll have to go read the new FAQ.  And sorry for asking a question that had already been answered. Thanks.

Archived