Unit Markers

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,

I just ran into an issue, where I don't really find a good solution.

The thing is, that I have painted my army now, an they look very good, as far as I can tell. The problem now is, that due to the game itself, I would need to give 3 units of the same type some kind of marker. To show wich model belongs to wich unit, so that I know who would be in combat, if they ever meet at the battlefield to face the enemy and get mixed up.

But I really don't find a solution, that doesn't mess up the work and looks kind of fitting.
Do you maybe have any elegant solutions for that?

Cheers///

This is probably the only colour-scheme problem that I anticipated while painting my two armies and I approached it slightly differently for each. My Tzeentch army had different colour crystals on the base to allow me to split the same models into different units and my Stormcasts have different coloured plumes and dangly crotch chain mail (which is how the battletome suggests that different units are divided).

1441099261_AmryTz2.jpg.c1cf575a2eb0097ef01ba665503215aa.jpg

1298675589_Liberators10_02_181.jpg.398152d2a311955f7594da2fc2c41722.jpg

852011985_Liberators02_05.18(3).jpg.d65e60a921f8caba3172bf49c8ef8d7a.jpg

Good ideas, to actually take any detail and give it kind of a marking via colour choise. My Army is Khorne bloodbound, where there the Blood Warriors do all look diffenrent in a group of 10. So they don't have any detail they all share.

So I was actually thinkinf of giving the base a mark at its back, but to paint these with free hand is a mess very often.

If you are happy with how they look... I wouldn't mess with it I think... I would suggest a small line on the edge of the base in different colours for different units. Could be a small elegant solution, that's easily painted over if you don't like it. 

SOunds also like a good idea to me.
What I did now, at least it will stay just for now, I took some transfer cheats from GW, where there are those wird looking numbers on it ( guess it is 2,3,6,7 ) and used the 2 and 3 to transfer them on the back of the bases. It is pretty ok, and I can also easily whipe them off, after the tournament today.

With nail polish eraser that is very easy to do ;)

So what I will do is, that I maybe gonna create kind of a small template maybe, so that those small marker kind of look the same.
And the other idea is, to find some sticker stripes, that I can cut to length and then transfer those to the bases.
I guess one of those ideas will be the way to go for me.
Don't know wich one, that could actually take some time to figure out.

MAybe someone also has more ideas, that we didn't mention yet.
I am grateful for all the help!

Cheers ///

As @Kramer says, You could use coloured lines on the back of the base. Just a thin line would do, which would mark one unit, two thin lines would mark a 2nd unit and blank would mark a 3rd unit. Use just one colour to start and as the army grows you could expand that to two colours which gives way more combinations.

As for colours, using basing colours would be the least intrusive or using the colours of your army would be the next least intrusive.
You could use other colours so they stand out more but it will be more noticeable.

You only need a really small thin line, so it should mess with the look of your force and shouldn't be to noticeable across the table top. Far easier than adding numbers and I think colours are easier to spot. Very easy to paint over if you need to change them or decided you no longer needed to use them!

Archived