Basic modifier timing

TheAntsAreBack

Question

Hi, if a unit is buffed with "+1 to wound rolls" presumably a buff of "reroll wound rolls of 1" would be useless? I.e. no rolls of 1 could occur?

I ask because the latest GW faction focus for Nighthaunts talks of the synergy for wound rolls when the Guardian of Souls (+1 to wound rolls for a unit within 9") buffs a unit of Chainrasps, presumably referring to their reroll wound rolls of 1 rule.

3 answers to this question

Its rerolls, premodifier checks (things that say before modifiers or unmodified), modifiers, post modifier checks

so if you have something that lets you reroll failed saves on a 4+ save, your opponent's attack has -1 rend and you roll a 4, you can't reroll that 4 because you can only reroll failed saves and this check is made before modifiers (including rend) so the attack would go unsaved

8 hours ago, TheAntsAreBack said:

Hi, if a unit is buffed with "+1 to wound rolls" presumably a buff of "reroll wound rolls of 1" would be useless? I.e. no rolls of 1 could occur?

It's covered in basic rules and in more length in the FAQ, but TL: DR version - rerolls trigger first, then modifiers. In every circumstance.

Archived