Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

I saw a podcast talking about a really dirty combo using the Heraldor.

It was the Adepticon doubles tournament, a Sylvaneth player and a Stormcast player. The Sylvaneth player filled the board with trees, the Stormcast player brought 2~3 Heraldors and then tooted at the trees. Instant nuke field that you can set up with near impunity. 

You can sort of do this as a solo 2000 point list. Either you play mixed Order and have to pay for the trees, or you can play Sylvaneth with the Winterleaf Wargrove battalion which lets you take an Order unit (though then you're just playing Sylvaneth).

I've got some store credit and I'm wondering if I should put it up between a Stardrake or some Vanguard units since I don't have Hunters or Palladors. What do you guys think?

The stardrake seems to be really emerging in matched play and that was the only previous drawback to an awesome model of a giant dragon with a big golden man (or woman -person) on it.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stardrake seems to be really emerging in matched play and that was the only previous drawback to an awesome model of a giant dragon with a big golden man (or woman -person) on it.

Stardrake with an aetherstrike battalion would be pretty scary. Glass canon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, CountryMou3e said:

Stardrake with an aetherstrike battalion would be pretty scary. Glass canon?

Once you are comfortable with all the components it would be fantasic. I was going to take it to a tourney but I need more practise.

Just now, CountryMou3e said:

I'm very interested ! Can I see your list ?

I was going to use the one Russ Veal from Facehammer tested out (and won with) at a 1 day tourney a month or so back (got it from their podcast).

LCoSD

Castellant

Relictor

Azyros

Venator

Judicatorsx2

Liberators

Aetherwingsx2

Raptors with hurricane crossbows

Raptors with Longstrike crossbows

Leaving 60 points after the formation which I was probably going to use on a gryph hound.

I was going to use the one Russ Veal from Facehammer tested out (and won with) at a 1 day tourney a month or so back (got it from their podcast).

LCoSD

Castellant

Relictor

Azyros

Venator

Judicatorsx2

Liberators

Aetherwingsx2

Raptors with hurricane crossbows

Raptors with Longstrike crossbows

Leaving 60 points after the formation which I was probably going to use on a gryph hound.

I've not really seen positive things for raptors with hurricanes. All setups point towards a larger unit with long strikes for the battalion ability

What's the minimum requirement for aetherstrike again ? I don't have my tome at work lol

I've not really seen positive things for raptors with hurricanes. All setups point towards a larger unit with long strikes for the battalion ability

What's the minimum requirement for aetherstrike again ? I don't have my tome at work lol

Aetherstrike is 2 Judis, 2 Raptors, 2 Aetherwings, Venator and Azyros plus 80. Min buy in 1080 if you go Longstrikes (my preference), slightly cheaper if you go Hurricanes.

I think it's solid and offers enough variance that they won't be cookie cutter.

As for support, Dracoths are nice to be either quick forward runners or counter charge threats, or a Stardrake is a massive magnet that they need to deal with or die. You can go MSU with Libs and Prosecutors, or even go heavy on Battalions and stick in a Hammerstrike. I think we'll also see a lot of people running it alongside an Aquilor and Hunters/Palladors for mobility.

I want to try it with a Celestant-Prime, personally, but he's still a bit iffy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Aetherstrike is 2 Judis, 2 Raptors, 2 Aetherwings, Venator and Azyros plus 80. Min buy in 1080 if you go Longstrikes (my preference), slightly cheaper if you go Hurricanes.

I think it's solid and offers enough variance that they won't be cookie cutter.

As for support, Dracoths are nice to be either quick forward runners or counter charge threats, or a Stardrake is a massive magnet that they need to deal with or die. You can go MSU with Libs and Prosecutors, or even go heavy on Battalions and stick in a Hammerstrike. I think we'll also see a lot of people running it alongside an Aquilor and Hunters/Palladors for mobility.

I want to try it with a Celestant-Prime, personally, but he's still a bit iffy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Hunters for turn 1 tie up of enemy units ? Give the long strikes another turn or two of dishing out pain. I love fulminators, so excited for the options you can bolt on to aetherstrike

I would say Aquilor/Hunters/Palladors are good for mobility. The "core" units of the Aetherstrike (Judicators, Raptors) aren't mobile, only the Heroes and Aetherwings, which you'll want to keep back anyway other than the Azyros. The other Vanguard units will give you a lot of board presence, since the Gryph units can move fast, and the Hunters can pop up on the far side of the table and threaten backfield units and objectives. 

I personally think I'll go with Dracoths as well, since they're cool and offer tactical variance. You can either park them in the middle of the table to fight everything, or you can hang out behind/flanking the Aetherstrike units and scare off any charging units like Bloodbound or Ironjawz.

I would say Aquilor/Hunters/Palladors are good for mobility. The "core" units of the Aetherstrike (Judicators, Raptors) aren't mobile, only the Heroes and Aetherwings, which you'll want to keep back anyway other than the Azyros. The other Vanguard units will give you a lot of board presence, since the Gryph units can move fast, and the Hunters can pop up on the far side of the table and threaten backfield units and objectives. 

I personally think I'll go with Dracoths as well, since they're cool and offer tactical variance. You can either park them in the middle of the table to fight everything, or you can hang out behind/flanking the Aetherstrike units and scare off any charging units like Bloodbound or Ironjawz.

36110b2f2a21eae0b6abc3550aebaec0.jpg

Haven't added artefacts etc but you get the idea

Looks solid to me, I was thinking 2 units of 3 Longstrikes but then replacing the Castellant with a Lord Celestant on Dracoth for maximum Dracoth power!

Actually, for your list swapping the Castellant for a Relictor might be slightly better. Lightning Chariot is so good, especially on shooting units. Plus on turn one, you can Chariot the Azyros up the field and get the Hero Phase shooting right from the get-go.

Looks solid to me, I was thinking 2 units of 3 Longstrikes but then replacing the Castellant with a Lord Celestant on Dracoth for maximum Dracoth power!
Actually, for your list swapping the Castellant for a Relictor might be slightly better. Lightning Chariot is so good, especially on shooting units. Plus on turn one, you can Chariot the Azyros up the field and get the Hero Phase shooting right from the get-go.

Don't forget though the battalion ability allows one unit to shoot in hero ? So a larger unit means more shots

I think squeezing in a Lord Relictor would be a useful addition to CountryMouse's list.
Is the 3rd unit of Aetherwings worth it? Dropping that + swapping in Hurricane-Raptors for the smaller unit would free up the 80 pts. for a 4th Hero.

I can't quote the tome as it's at home , but my thinking was charge chaff but when a unit from the battalion dies you can take a shot at the unit ? If not then yes worth dropping for sure. Annnnnnd the hurricanes would provide a meat blender threat for charging units against the long strikes

Like it !

After the release of the new battletome, I also wrote some lists with Aetherstrike Force being the mainstay.

I only played a single game with the new SCE at 2,500pts, but Aetherstrike Force proved to be a solid battalion if not the most competitive.

I agree with others' comments that the Aetherstrike Force rewards Vanguard-Raptor units with large size. 

I think at least one of the Vanguard-Raptor units in the Aetherstrike Force should be minimum 6-model strong in order to benefit more from the battalion's rule.

As for the units supporting the Aetherstrike Force, I used Fulminators for counter-charging enemy melee units threatening Raptors.

I also found that having at least a unit of Protectors is a must to defend the Raptors from enemy shootings.

They shine especially against tzaangor skyfires which nowadays have quickly become infamous for their mobility and firepower.

Combined with Lantern of the Tempest carried by Knight-Azyros, I can afford to increase my own firepower while weakening enemy firepower.

For others' reference, below is the 2,000pts list which I will be using soon.

Grand Alliance : Order / Allegiance : Stormcast Eternals

2,000pts Battlehost

-Leaders : 3

Lord-Relictor(General, Command Trait : Staunch Defender, Artefact : Mirrorshield)

Knight-Azyros(Artefact : Lantern of the Tempest)

Knight-Venator

-Battleline : 3

Liberators(Warhammer & Shield, Liberator-Prime : Grandhammer)

Judicators(Skybolt Bows, Judicator-Prime : Shockbolt Bow)

Judicators(Skybolt Bows, Judicator-Prime : Shockbolt Bow)

-Others

3 Aetherwings

3 Aetherwings

6 Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows(Raptor-Prime)

3 Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows(Raptor-Prime)

5 Protectors(Protector-Prime, 2xStarsoul Mace)

2 Fulminators

3 Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins(Proecutor-Prime : Stormsurge Trident)

Gryph Hound

-Warscroll Battalion : Aetherstrike Force

Total : 2,000pts

Thoughts on this list?

2,000pts

Leaders:
  • Lord Aquilor - Champion of Realms, Strife Ender, Aethereal Stalker
  • Knight Venator - Luckstone
  • Lord Relictor - Mirrorshield, Blessed Weapons

Battleline:
  • 3x 5 Vanguard Hunters
Others:
  • 5 Retributors, 2 Maces
  • 5 Protectors, 2 Maces
  • 3 Prosecutors, Javelins
  • 3 Palladors, Javelins
  • 3 Raptors, Longstrikes
  • 3 Aetherwings
Battalions:
  • Hammerstrike Force
  • Vanguard Angelos Conclave

My idea is to compliment the double shooting from the angelos with the combat pounding from the hammerstrike while providing ranged support via the Raptors bolstered by the Relictor's blessing and the Venator.  The Aetherwings are to round out the points.

The Aquilor is built to straight crush chaos heroes, +3 attacks with mount rerolls.  he can also redeploy the Raptors out of danger if need be.  The Palladors and the Venator can grab far flung objectives.

Thoughts on this list?
2,000pts   Leaders:
  • Lord Aquilor - Champion of Realms, Strife Ender, Aethereal Stalker
  • Knight Venator - Luckstone
  • Lord Relictor - Mirrorshield, Blessed Weapons
  Battleline:
  • 3x 5 Vanguard Hunters
Others:
  • 5 Retributors, 2 Maces
  • 5 Protectors, 2 Maces
  • 3 Prosecutors, Javelins
  • 3 Palladors, Javelins
  • 3 Raptors, Longstrikes
  • 3 Aetherwings
Battalions:
  • Hammerstrike Force
  • Vanguard Angelos Conclave
  My idea is to compliment the double shooting from the angelos with the combat pounding from the hammerstrike while providing ranged support via the Raptors bolstered by the Relictor's blessing and the Venator.  The Aetherwings are to round out the points.   The Aquilor is built to straight crush chaos heroes, +3 attacks with mount rerolls.  he can also redeploy the Raptors out of danger if need be.  The Palladors and the Venator can grab far flung objectives.

My recent but new experience of the hunters is their shooting is pretty dogo. I had a better time using them in pursuit turn one and tying up larger units to allow me time for better position/counter movement. I'm sure I still have some 'git gud' lessons though [emoji16]

I'm thinking they would all be deployed in pursuit and pop out turn 1 to shoot up something since that would trigger their double shooting ability from angelos. 4 shots per model followed by a charge seems good via weight of dice even though the shooting itself is average.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived