New Member Introduction

Ratzinkaiser

Hi all,

Just thought I'd make a quick introduction thread, though in all honesty I'm terrible at making these, let's hope this doesn't turn into a ramble (Reading through this after typing it - spoilers, it does)

I began playing Warhammer 40k in secondary school, up to the point where the teacher who took it went into retirement and when no one came forward to take his place... well, that was kind of the end of that. With the only hobby shops an hour travel each (I say plural but one is more a light shop with a large model train section in the back with a few Warhammer boxes) I hung that up for a while (maybe five years?), getting back in a little bit when I went to uni where there was and actual honest to goodness wargamer community! And then I moved again, and the lack of anything local has caused me to shift focus from playing games to becoming more hobby orientated, building, converting and painting.

While originally quite fond of 40k and generally shying away from fantasy (something about the blocks of troops, small square bases and the large number of minis required to actually do battle, something I found out in uni when I tried starting up a Wood Elves army which sort of... died after picking up a box of Dryads, Glade Guard and a wizard then discovering "wait, I need to buy how many boxes of these before I can play?"), I picked up an interest in Skaven during the End Times.

When Age of Sigmar came along, and the steam gathered from the End Times sort of died down the rats I got from the Island of Blood set on eBay sort of... well let's say there's a lot of grey plastic I still have to put a brush to. And change them all to round bases.

Later on while looking up other peoples' work on the Astral Claws, I came across the Mengel Miniatures blog. Came for the Astral Claws, stayed for the Tomb Kings. Somehow from that I got hooked on fantasy minis again and thought about starting a Tomb Kings force. Then they got squatted and it suddenly became stupidly expensive to do.

So now I've turned back to my roots rats in Fantasy, working a little bit here and there on the Skaven, all the while incredibly INCREDIBLY tempted by the Order alliance in the form of Sylvaneth, going so far as to dig that old 12-man squad of Dryads mentioned above out of storage (discovering my younger self was terrible at this hobby, lamenting over the mould lines that had been left on), stripping their paint and trying out different paint schemes. But in all, I seem to prefer Age of Sigmar to 40k at the moment, having played the introductory game at my local GW (I say local, but it's an hour drive) cementing the dedication for finally get those Skaven painted.

Anyway, thanks to all who have gotten this far down the introduction. Just going to sign this off by saying I'm looking forward to being part of the community. :)

Archived