AoS night 13 July - Da Big Ones iz da best!

Nico

Battleplan

After the wild three-way last week, we returned to something more normal - just a Bloodthirster, 6 Forgeworld Monsters and a certain dude on a three headed dragon facing off against each other.

We opted for Battleplan 1 from SCGT - Heralds of the Storm - longwise/Battle of the Pass, 4 objectives, score every turn, only heroes and monsters can score.

Armies
Goregutz the Troll Hag
Stompy the Rogue Idol of Gork
Char the Magma Dragon
Grimjaw the Dread Maw
Morejaw the Dread Maw
20 Grots (the Green Moon Clan)
3 Fanatics

IMG_4680.JPG

Rob took his own monster mash:

Archaon
Skaarac
Billy the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster
Juggerlord
Mighty Lord of Khorne
Bloodstoker
Bloodsecrator
2 Skull Cannons

IMG_4681.JPG

Deployment

Rob choose one end and I deployed the Dread Maws off the table.

Rob put the monsters on the left and Archaon on the right. The Bloodsecrator guarded by the Mighty Lord of Khorne held the middle. The 30 inch range cannons held back.

I deployed all on the right opposite Archaon behind a line of Grots.

IMG_4683.JPG

I gave Rob the first turn. He fired off all his command abilities and mystic shielded Archaon putting him on a 2+.

Battleround 1
Billy and Skaarac went up to threaten my objective on the left. Archaon sat back. The Juggerlord held Rob's left objective. The cannons fired ineffectually at the Magma Dragon. 

I cast mystic shield on the Magma Dragon. The Grots ran forward slowly and Goregutz say on the objective.

Char bounded forward 16 inches.

Stompy waddled forward leaving destruction is his wake

The Dread Maws emerged from the ground cutting off Billy and threatening the Juggerlord.

The Magma Dragon blasted 5 mortal wounds at Skaarac. Of the 4 possible charges, only the Dragon made it into Skaarac - but with brutal results. The maw attacks cleaved through him easily.

IMG_4689.JPG

Crucially the Juggerlord survived and held a second objective for Rob, so the storm front stayed put.

IMG_4692.JPG

Battleround 2
I won the double turn.

The Grots laboured their way forward. Goregutz the Troll stayed put. 

Stompy reluctantly headed back to guard the objective.

Char flapped forward into Rob's centre, ignoring Archaon for now.

IMG_4696.JPG

One Dread Maw approached Billy the Bloodthirster, while the other one contested Rob's objective and prepared to charge the Juggerlord from 3 inches.

Char blasted 2 mortal wounds off the Mighty Lord of Khorne.

IMG_4694.JPG

Charge phase - the Dread Maw fluffed his 3 charge roll against the Juggerlord!

Fearing the Mighty Lord of Khorne's Axe, I activated Char first and swallowed both the Mighty Lord of Khorne and the Bloodsecrator.

IMG_4700.JPG

Billy chopped away at the Dread Maw, but his axe buried itself in the clouds of rocks and debris surrounding it - inflicting minimal damage. The Dread Maw half killed Billy.

Stompy cheered from the back.

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

Archaon swore revenge. Taking the Juggerlord buff and that from the Bloodstoker, he swooped into Char, circling the Slayer of Kings above his head.

IMG_4709.JPG

Rob activated Archaon first. The Slayer of Kings sliced cleanly through Char's head, splashing magma everywhere and knocking a wound off Archaon.

IMG_4712.JPG

The Dread Maw responded - taking out Billy.

IMG_4713.JPG

With one objective contested and both of mine, the Stormfront advanced towards Archaon.

Battleround 3

Rob won the double turn this time and attempted to pull off the same trick again. Archaon charged into both Dread Maws. The Skull Cannons chased after him.

IMG_4722.JPG

This time the Slayer of Kings jammed on the rocky hide of the Dread Maw. Archaon's best chance to turn the battle was lost (as he loses the +1 to wound buff when he doesn't charge).

IMG_4723.JPG

For their part, the Dread Maws clawed ineffectually against Archaon and his 2+ save, taking him down to 17 wounds. The Skullcannons did little.

The Green moon Grots advanced, running, but tripping over their feet - perhaps they were scared by the volcano emerging from the remains of Char.

IMG_4724.JPG

The Dread Maws attacked Archaon again and did ... zero damage.

IMG_4729.JPG

Archaon failed to unleash the Daemon from his sword, but chopped some more wounds off the Dread Maw.

The storm front advanced again (I held 2 and contested one of Rob's). It did minimal damage.

Battleround 4

Goregutz shouted at Stompy to stop him from charging forward again (to ensure victory by holding two objectives). The grots advanced and encircled the Bloodstoker. The fanatics stayed put.

IMG_4733.JPG

Over the course of the Battleround, Archaon finally killed off the Dread Maws.

IMG_4732.JPG

The grots failed to kill the Bloodstoker.

Battleround 5

Stompy roared out "victory" and "it'z stompin time" before surging towards Archaon. Goregutz walked forward.Unfortunately Stompy failed his charge roll. The Grots continued to fail.

Rob started the final turn. For the sake of fun, I held off from sending in the fanatics to block his charges.

The Skullcannons took aim at Goregutz. Rob asked me to choose a dice from his hand for the damage roll. Obviously he rolled a 6. THe Skullcannons followed up with a charge.

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

Archaon took his last shot at vengeance by charging Stompy. 

IMG_4736.JPG

The Slayer of Kings failed again. Stompy shrugged off the blows and smashed Archaon down to 8 wounds.

IMG_4737.JPG

The Skullcannons took bites out of Goregutz and fired back at him, blasting him away in the final act of the game.

IMG_4743.JPG

Overall a truly cinematic game. Amazingly good fun. 

Tactically, Rob lost the game by deploying his two Khorne dudes too far away from everything else, allowing me to focus fire them one at a time. He didn't fall for the obvious trap of the grots containg fanatics. After that mistake he made no more mistakes and might have pulled off a draw had he killed a Dread Maw with the Slayer of Kings.

Overall, Archaon feels overcosted. The fact that he only has -1 rend (and no ranged attack) is infuriating. He's best suited to killing heroes with big buffs or clearing out large blocks of badly armoured units.

The monsters fulfilled their roles. The Dread Maws are tank/infiltrators, very unpredictable. They aren't fast, so they are best avoided. The Magma Dragon is surprisingly fragile. The Troll Hag didn't really get a chance to shine.

Thanks so much Rob!  

IMG_4734.JPG

Archived