2K Tournament Tomorrow. Need Help With Finishing Touches

AverageBoss

Have a 2,000 point tournament tomorrow and have most of my list fleshed out. Looking for some advice on the finishing touches. Also, trying to decide which Legion to go with. I feel Sacrament is almost necessary, due to it being the only one with shooting protection. But maybe I am just paranoid and can get by without it? Right now the list is sitting at:

Allegiance: Death
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds
Terrorghiest (300)

Total: 1580 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

For the last 420, I figure I can go with either a brick of Grave Guard with great weapons, or 10 Hexwraiths and a Balewind Vortex. I am also sitting on 6x Spirit Hosts, 2x Vampire Lords, a Wraith, and a Banshee. But don't really see a good fit for those.

My recommendation would be to go Grand Host and take the big brick of grave guard with one of the vampire lords. Make the vampire lord your general and give it Lord of Nagahizzar. You may have to drop the riderless Zombie Dragon to make room for the points but I feel it is a much more powerful build. (plus, unfortunately, riderless Zombie Dragons aren't really competitive since a Terrorgheist is the same points and significantly better) A big unit of graveguard buffed up by that aura and the Vampire Lord's command ability is ridiculously powerful. Especially once you figure in that you can easily keep them in range of like 5D3 models returned per turn while debuffing threats to them. 

I'd also give him the Ossific Diadem to make all your skeletons even harder to kill.  Only use his command ability if you need the extra punch in a given phase, otherwise, use inspiring presence on whichever big anvil unit is likely to take heavier casualties.  In most cases simply not dying is your key to victory as you will win the attrition game then dominate the late game so long as you haven't fallen too far behind on the objectives.

Be very mindful of the Vampire Lord's positioning though, daisy chain to him if needed to keep the aura in range, your goal should be to keep the vampire behind LoS blocking terrain so that he is much harder to snipe. Hopefully the VLoZD will provide enough immediate threat to draw most range attention in the early game but a savvy opponent will recognize that the one on foot buffing both units of skeletons to god mode is the true threat. 

Since you are worried about shooting I'd say drop Fading Vigour for Decrepify as the -1 to wound portion of it applies to both melee and ranged giving you two anti-ranged debuffs. 

With the remaining points (dropping the ZD for 30 GG + VL puts you at 1840) either the balewind or 5 hexwraiths are good choices. Personally, I prefer the wraiths as they offer some fast moving threat but we all know how powerful the Balewind is. ;) 

Very few shooting armies are going to be able to gun through your two giant skeleton units. They will snipe out the VLoZD then really struggle for board control/objective control.  

I'd add in that I don't feel Sacrament's anti-shooting items are all that great. Especially since one of the scariest ranged lists in the meta is Changehost which does most of its ranged damage via MW spells that don't care about special saves in the shooting phase or to hit modifiers. 

1 minute ago, themortalgod said:

My recommendation would be to go Grand Host and take the big brick of grave guard with one of the vampire lords. Make the vampire lord your general and give it Lord of Nagahizzar. You may have to drop the riderless Zombie Dragon to make room for the points but I feel it is a much more powerful build. (plus, unfortunately, riderless Zombie Dragons aren't really competitive since a Terrorgheist is the same points and significantly better) A big unit of graveguard buffed up by that aura and the Vampire Lord's command ability is ridiculously powerful. Especially once you figure in that you can easily keep them in range of like 5D3 models returned per turn while debuffing threats to them. 

I'd also give him the Ossific Diadem to make all your skeletons even harder to kill.  Only use his command ability if you need the extra punch in a given phase, otherwise, use inspiring presence on whichever big anvil unit is likely to take heavier casualties.  In most cases simply not dying is your key to victory as you will win the attrition game then dominate the late game so long as you haven't fallen too far behind on the objectives.

Be very mindful of the Vampire Lord's positioning though, daisy chain to him if needed to keep the aura in range, your goal should be to keep the vampire behind LoS blocking terrain so that he is much harder to snipe. Hopefully the VLoZD will provide enough immediate threat to draw most range attention in the early game but a savvy opponent will recognize that the one on foot buffing both units of skeletons to god mode is the true threat. 

Since you are worried about shooting I'd say drop Fading Vigour for Decrepify as the -1 to wound portion of it applies to both melee and ranged giving you two anti-ranged debuffs. 

With the remaining points (dropping the ZD for 30 GG + VL puts you at 1840) either the balewind or 5 hexwraiths are good choices. Personally, I prefer the wraiths as they offer some fast moving threat but we all know how powerful the Balewind is. ;) 

Very few shooting armies are going to be able to gun through your two giant skeleton units. They will snipe out the VLoZD then really struggle for board control/objective control.  

I'd add in that I don't feel Sacrament's anti-shooting items are all that great. Especially since one of the scariest ranged lists in the meta is Changehost which does most of its ranged damage via MW spells that don't care about special saves in the shooting phase or to hit modifiers. 

Was meant to be a Terrorghiest. Typo on my part.

Decrepify only effects enemy heroes, so I don't think it will stop much ranged firepower. Spirit Gale would be an option though if I can fit in that Vampire Lord.

Nobody really plays changehost around here. I am much more likely to see Skyfires, Kurnoth Hunters, KO lists, and mixed order gunlines.

And „the bait“ rule protects your anvil, standing in scenery with mystic shield...

40 skellis, necromancer some outriders on the flanks 

against heavy shooting and such remember to deny the double turn

Archived