Daisy chaining and invigorating aura

MrMiiike

A viable horde tactic seems to be to daisy chain.  I like it, it seems thematic to me for a unit to engage a unit of 60 zombies and whilst cleaving through them easily and saving most hits; the daisy chain tactic kind of represents them being somewhat overwhelmed by the horde as it moves through and around them.

I know abilities like invigorating aura the deathly invocation allow this to happen so long as you respect unit cohesion. But these abilities can really stack up and can allow you a lot of flexibility.

One of the things it seems possible to do but seems like it needs confirming ; is to daisy chain your way within another units 3" bubble. Is there a consensus on whether this is okay?

2 hours ago, MrMiiike said:

One of the things it seems possible to do but seems like it needs confirming ; is to daisy chain your way within another units 3" bubble. Is there a consensus on whether this is okay?

No consensus needed. The 3" bubble isn't a thing - it's that 3" is a common trigger/restriction distance in other rules. FAQ confirms models can be set up within 3" of an enemy model unless specified - so daisy-chaining is entirely allowed within the rules.

Whether it's "okay", however... it's certainly a tactic of dubious moral character.

The 3“ rule is specifically mentioned in the movement phase... in all other phases it doesn’t automatically apply 

that is one of the reasons a lot of extra movement rules/abilities say: move as in your movement phase... to prevent getting into direkt contact outside the charge phase.

for the set up of new models there are also very often specific rules to follow (within 9“/ outside of 9“...) and always very clearly stated.

regeneration of models usually (FEC or other) states to set up models in coherency with the unit, not defining one by one or as a group (f.e. 40k). So the single instance of setting up each model happens at the same time... player chooses how, where, when. Placing champion here, drummer boy there and standartbearer over here.

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

No consensus needed. The 3" bubble isn't a thing - it's that 3" is a common trigger/restriction distance in other rules. FAQ confirms models can be set up within 3" of an enemy model unless specified - so daisy-chaining is entirely allowed within the rules.

Whether it's "okay", however... it's certainly a tactic of dubious moral character.

Is it really a tactic of morally dubious character? I feel like it's a thematic quirk like those zombies in world war z. Swarming here and there. 

Also it gives them a fighting chance. 

I can see how an opponent would prefer it if, once engaged they'd just stand still and die quietly though. 

5 hours ago, MrMiiike said:

I can see how an opponent would prefer it if, once engaged they'd just stand still and die quietly though

Yep, sorry to bring my own cheese to the buffet...

I mean every alliance has its theme, sylvaneth bringing stupid forests, skydwarves bringing crazy shooting which one cannot even build with the sold models, and what not. 

We are the undying legions and fyreslayers as well as nurgle demons have better saves than we do...

there are a lot of instances in the stories where the undead break through the turf, and in terms of gameplay not really that unbalanced, since you have to loose the models first.

Archived