The Mortuary Cult of Setr'Rha: Counts-as Desert Legions of Notgash

CharnelChimera

So I decided to chronicle a little project I've had brewing in my mind for a while now. With the Legions of Nagash tome finally out, and Tomb Kings all but dead forever, I wanted to create a counts-as army that'll look and play great. Here's what I'm aiming for at the moment:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Lore of the Dead: Spectral Grasp (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Grave-sand Timeglass 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
- Artefact: Ossific Diadem 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
4 x Morghast Harbingers (440)
- Spirit Halberds
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152

The theme of this army? Bird-headed soul-keepers. I'll be converting a lot of things to make it look swanky. To give you an idea of my first attempts, I'll attach my WIP Birbghast. I'd love to hear what people have to say about them, especially about the legs! I've changed them from the stock Morghast legs  since people said they looked stubby, and I think the Zombie Dragon legs look great. I plan to cover them in bandages to cover up some of the awkwardness of them on the next detail pass. I'd also love to hear which weapon style people like better: scythe-style, or spear-style. Please, let me know! :D

As for future conversions on the horizon, I'll be kitbashing the Mortarch kit with a necrosphinx to make a gryphontaur-esqe centerpiece, smashing the Mortis Engine with a Necron Doomsday arc for a thematic locus, and giving my necromancers and vampires Tzaangor bird head to drive it home.  The Dire Wolves will Gryph Hounds be done up to look like crumbling marble statues, so I'm hoping that the entire army will tie together quite well. Finally, since I have 80 Tomb Guard, I'll be using them as regular skeletons just for the style factor. Imagine seeing all of them ranked up on a display board. I personally can't wait for it.

In case anyone is interested in the lore behind this, I'm currently reworking it thanks to today's Turbo-Hell jail escape now making a lot more things possible. The TLDR, however, is that The Mortuary Cult of Setr'Rha is one of the few remaining tombs that just happened to survive the World-That-Was because Magic. They seek a forgotten, golden-bodied god who is said to have been kicking daemon-ass for millennia. Once they find him, they too wish to be reborn into golden, daemon ass-kicking bodies free of the chains of Nagash.

birbghast.jpg

Sweet project dude and those conversations look great! Just wanted to mention though that GW announced last week that they would be redoing rules and doing limited runs of old armies again starting with Dark Elves so I expect TKs will get some love, at the very least it will give you access to more TKs bits to buy at more reasonable prices than ebay. ;) 

As for your list, I'd suggest 2 units of 2 Morghasts. It will give you more options and you don't gain any benefit really from having them all as one except maybe to stack buffs on?

Have you considered a big unit of Grave Guard in the place of one of the skeleton units? They are actually pretty good now and the old Tomb Guard models are so amazing. Especially since you are running Lord of Nagashizzar. 30 grave guard getting back like 6D3 models back per turn rocking Vanhels and in that aura range + VL command ability are devastating. Add in some debuffs on their foes and they are nigh unkillable. 

Also imo Decrepify is way better than Spectral Grasp. At first glance I really liked Grasp, but in games it never seems to pan out as being all that effective since it only impacts move characteristic and not things like running, charging, and out of phase movement. Also once the enemy army reaches your lines, it is useless, whereas Decrepify is always good. 

9 hours ago, themortalgod said:

I expect TKs will get some love, at the very least it will give you access to more TKs bits to buy at more reasonable prices than ebay. ;)

Oh yeah, tell me about it! I'm glad I got all my minis at firesale prices in the great switch from WHFB, but I won't say no to getting another sphinx kit or 9 at MSRP :D

As for your list, I'd suggest 2 units of 2 Morghasts. It will give you more options and you don't gain any benefit really from having them all as one except maybe to stack buffs on?

That's something I was fully considering, as I'm thinking having 2 Morghasts on each flank could make for some hard choices for my opponent. You're correct that the only thing that can really buff them is the vampire lord and he'll want to be hugging skeletons anyway. I'll try them in 2x2 and 1x4 when they're done and see how I feel about it. Could also give me an excuse to try both styles of weapons, since I've had people like them both! I do agree that the hafts are a little wonky, but I'm not sure I can do them any better than what they are right now without just getting some plasticard rod and a lot of pinning.

Have you considered a big unit of Grave Guard in the place of one of the skeleton units? They are actually pretty good now and the old Tomb Guard models are so amazing. Especially since you are running Lord of Nagashizzar. 30 grave guard getting back like 6D3 models back per turn rocking Vanhels and in that aura range + VL command ability are devastating. Add in some debuffs on their foes and they are nigh unkillable.

I've tried running 1x40 Skeleton lists and found I just got crunched up and tabled far too often to my liking. I'd expect the same thing would happen with Grave Guard, since they're just fancy skeletons with a +1 save and nicer weapons. 2x40 of the normal Skeletons, I personally feel, gives me more of an opportunity to split threats, castle more effectively with LoS's debuffs, and lets me clog the board up a little more. Grave Guard sound amazing on paper, but in reality I'm expecting the skeleton squads to never get into any favorable combats due to their low movement and threat range, so I opted for redundancy and resilience. I am tempted to try 40 GG and 2x10 Wolves, though. That would certainly sound like fun, but it'd also mean I'd have to convert up 20 Gryphhounds and that might make my display board look silly, haha.

Also imo Decrepify is way better than Spectral Grasp. At first glance I really liked Grasp, but in games it never seems to pan out as being all that effective since it only impacts move characteristic and not things like running, charging, and out of phase movement. Also once the enemy army reaches your lines, it is useless, whereas Decrepify is always good. 

Noted and I'll be sure to test it out. I didn't realize it only affected the move characteristic. Didn't a recent FAQ errata that charging, moving, and any sort of movement count as a "move" for the purpose of abilities, or am I just imagining things? In either case, you're right that Decrepify fits into my "sit in a skeletal castle on the objectives and debuff" everything plan.

Thanks for the thorough advice! I'll  be sure to keep it in mind as I keep working and polishing my list. :D

6 hours ago, Wolfman said:

Excellent theme and well crafted conversions. I prefer the spear style weapons that you have. I think the hafts are a bit thin, especially for the scythe style.

I agree, but I've had people strongly say the scythes are better, if only for the thematic of having a scythe and the natural shape of the blade bit. But I've also had many people who love the spears, so I'm torn on it myself. I'm heavily leaning towards the spears at the moment, since they look more like something you'd find in a real GW kit and do have a unique profile. Lengthening the haft will be sort of hard, these models are already suffering from some creative overhang from the wings and the angle of the blades, so I do need to keep my opponent's own miniatures in mind.

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Has a plastic kit ever been MTO?

I don't think so, but it'd be a shame for the most iconic TK kits to not be reprinted. Necro Knights are pushing 3-400 a box on ebay, sphinxes are about half that. GW is sitting on a minor gold mine as I'd probably buy a good 10 kits of Sphinxes, Tomb Guard, Necro Knights, Ushabti, and a few of the smaller heroes I haven't gotten my grubby paws on yet.

On the hobby side of things,  I didn't realize just how huge Aetherwings are! I wanted to replace the little spirit host heads with spirit-birds on my Mortarch counts as, but they're just a tad too big. They'll fit and blu-tac shows that it'll look pretty cool, but I'm worried they'll either overpower the model or just look tacky.  I'll probably dryfit everything and post a picture for critique later this week. Luckily, they'll look AMAZING replacing the circling banshees on my Mortis Engine.

Archived