Help an old WHFB use is old High Elf collection

Alith

After a break since the end of the 8th edition I decided to give AoS a shot and quite liked it, however my collection is all over the place when it comes to Order Allegiances and from my research I lack the essential old HE units for AoS (all the phoenix related stuff) can anyone more experienced help me build an army with the units I currently have? My collection is as follows

1-Dragonlord

2-Archmages

1- Loremaster

1-High Warden

30-Spireguards that can double as regular Spearmen (Which I guess I have as to have battleline)

20-Highborne Archers (thinking of using them as Shadow Warriors)

20- White Lions

30-Swordmasters

10-Reavers

10-Dragonblades

1-Bolt Thrower

I'm in a fairly similar situation myself only my collection consists mainly of Dark Elves, it was (or is) really challenging for me to get my head around AoS and the subfactions/factions/allegiances and the abilities/relics that come with them.

In the end I just grabbed some of the units & models I think look cool as an army, and started playing some games. So far I've mainly been using spearmen and crossbowmen along with a sorcererss, bolt thrower, and blackguard. Is it a competitive list? Most certainly not, but I've gotten some actual games in and am starting to get a bettter idea of how AoS works.  The people I play against are mainly returning fantasy players, or kind enough to tone down their list when they face off against a noob like myself ;). By simply playing the game with a crappy list I'm starting to see what I need, which is giving me ideas to work towards; I'll be adding some fast cavalry  to my list, and probably a cavalry/flying hero to help with objectives. Because mobility is the point where my current list is coming up short. After that.. Who knows what I need; probably mortal wounds, so I'll start looking into those when the time comes.

Unless everyone you know is hyper-competitive and unwilling to tone down their list to help you learn the game, you can simply mess around with your current models and get some feedback from you opponents. Then use the experience from your first few games to change your army or maybe pick up a new unit.  

So my advice would be to just make a list with a little bit of everyhing (dragon, mage, infantry, warmachine, cavalry) and see if you can find someone to play a game against. A pick-up game at a local store might not be ideal; but if you stop by during game-night you can probably find someone that'll be happy to play an intro-game against you the next week.

You have enough to make a fun list there. I' suggest running a dragonhost battalion as a core. Requires a dragonlord and two squads of dragon blades ( run them in min unit size of 5). Gives you incredible mobility and let' you hit the enemy lines with your dragonlord pretty much whenever you want. Bring the loremaster to cast hand of glory in the dragonlord, I've had a lot of success with this combo. The bolt thrower too is awesome with the loremaster, so bring that because once that dragon gets moving your loremaster won' be able to keep up so good to have another target for his spell. Reavers as battle ine are awesome, great mobility makes them an awesome harrasser, I've had a lot of success using them in this way. Use the spear elves to fulfill you battle ine and then load up with the other stuff, white lions or swordmasters are pretty good. General idea is to get your dragonhost up in your opponents face so they have to deal with it early rounds and position the rest of your army while that is going on. Is this hypercompetitive? No, but also don't think you will feel underpowered either.

1 hour ago, chord said:

That's enough for a fun list.     Likes others said, throw together some lists and play a few friendly games

2 hours ago, Nutty said:

I'm in a fairly similar situation myself only my collection consists mainly of Dark Elves, it was (or is) really challenging for me to get my head around AoS and the subfactions/factions/allegiances and the abilities/relics that come with them.

In the end I just grabbed some of the units & models I think look cool as an army, and started playing some games. So far I've mainly been using spearmen and crossbowmen along with a sorcererss, bolt thrower, and blackguard. Is it a competitive list? Most certainly not, but I've gotten some actual games in and am starting to get a bettter idea of how AoS works.  The people I play against are mainly returning fantasy players, or kind enough to tone down their list when they face off against a noob like myself ;). By simply playing the game with a crappy list I'm starting to see what I need, which is giving me ideas to work towards; I'll be adding some fast cavalry  to my list, and probably a cavalry/flying hero to help with objectives. Because mobility is the point where my current list is coming up short. After that.. Who knows what I need; probably mortal wounds, so I'll start looking into those when the time comes.

Unless everyone you know is hyper-competitive and unwilling to tone down their list to help you learn the game, you can simply mess around with your current models and get some feedback from you opponents. Then use the experience from your first few games to change your army or maybe pick up a new unit.  

So my advice would be to just make a list with a little bit of everyhing (dragon, mage, infantry, warmachine, cavalry) and see if you can find someone to play a game against. A pick-up game at a local store might not be ideal; but if you stop by during game-night you can probably find someone that'll be happy to play an intro-game against you the next week.

Our meta is small, like 4-5 players, the most regular couple of them are very competitive though, I got wrecked by Stormcasts and Sylvaneth.

2 hours ago, Cinncinnatus said:

You have enough to make a fun list there. I' suggest running a dragonhost battalion as a core. Requires a dragonlord and two squads of dragon blades ( run them in min unit size of 5). Gives you incredible mobility and let' you hit the enemy lines with your dragonlord pretty much whenever you want. Bring the loremaster to cast hand of glory in the dragonlord, I've had a lot of success with this combo. The bolt thrower too is awesome with the loremaster, so bring that because once that dragon gets moving your loremaster won' be able to keep up so good to have another target for his spell. Reavers as battle ine are awesome, great mobility makes them an awesome harrasser, I've had a lot of success using them in this way. Use the spear elves to fulfill you battle ine and then load up with the other stuff, white lions or swordmasters are pretty good. General idea is to get your dragonhost up in your opponents face so they have to deal with it early rounds and position the rest of your army while that is going on. Is this hypercompetitive? No, but also don't think you will feel underpowered either.

Funnily enough I already tried a list like that but with bad results and was not a big fan of the dragonhost batallion. Basically the Order Draconis charged their lines and didn't deal much damage, and all of my opponent stormcast ganged up on them while my infantry was still behind. Basically divided and conquered.

On 09/03/2018 at 5:50 PM, chord said:

what did the stormcast player use?  Are you playing the matched play battleplans?

Mostly AoS starting box stuff+ Celestant Prime and the crossbow guys (which devastated my Dragon) . Can't be much of help here as I am not that familiar with the Stormcast line.

1 hour ago, Alith said:

Mostly AoS starting box stuff+ Celestant Prime and the crossbow guys (which devastated my Dragon) . Can't be much of help here as I am not that familiar with the Stormcast line.

Hmm...Give the army a few more tries, against that list it may have been a tactics learning curve.   

OP you also have the making of a solid 1000-1500 pt. army using the Eldritch Council faction.

If that is your allegiance, then swordmasters become battleline.

Convert one of the mages onto the dragon (or see if your friends will let you count the dragonlord as either drakeseer or archmage on dragon).

The unmounted archmages and the loremaster can be fielded as additional leaders.

For allies, maybe you can bring in another unit like the bolt thrower or archers.

Archived