Khaine Paint scheme help

Overread

So I'm trying to work out how best to do a paint scheme for the Daughters of Khaine, below I've roughly listed out what could work for a series of colours and required paints, but I've limited experience and thus might be making poor choices or there might be more effective means of achieving the end result with simpler methods or different colours. 

Colours:

Undercoat white

Skin - pale white with red tones rathe than pallid. 
Pallid Wych base
Carroburg Crimson shade
Druchii Viiolet shade
Pallid wych layer 
Highlight White Scar
Rhinox Hide - eye dots
mouth would need something stronger in red and not sure of the colour. 

tail skin on khinari - ideally darkening nearthe tip to a stronger red

Leathers - black
Abbadon Black base
Eshin Grey edge highlight
Dawnstone edge highlight 

Armour - copper (I'd also be happy with bronze, though I think there isn't as much a colour difference between gold and bronze to work well when both are used on the same model)
Screaming bell base
reikland fleshshade shade
hashut cooper layer
sycorax bronze edge highlight

Decorative metal - gold
retributor armour base
reikland fleshshade shade
auric armour gold layer
liberator gold edge highlight

Weapon blades (this is a darker silver, but I might go for a brighter option instead, using stormhost as a layer instead of edge)
Leadbelcher  base
nuln oil shade
stormhost silver edge highlight

Cloth - outer  claret
khorne red base
nuln oil shade
wazdakka red layer
cadian fleshtone edge highlight

cloth inner dark red 
khorn red base
carroburg crimson shade
wazdakka red edge highlight
wildreider red edge highlight

Snake body:
back scales down the spine - black
Abbadon Black base
Dawnstone edge highlight 

middle - bright red and black mix
Mephiston red base
carroburg crimson shade
evil sunz scarlet layer
wild rider red edge highlight

base scales black, purple hint to the colour
abbadon black base 
edge higlight Xereus purple

Wings 
bone - black
Abbadon Black base
Dawnstone edge highlight 

skin - unsure but a reddish colour and white highlight on the blood veins. Possibly same red tone as the tip of tails earlier. 

claws - white
Ushabti bone base
seraphim sepia shade
screaming skull edge highlight
pallid wych flesh edge highlight

You have approached this very much like a white dwarf paint splatter and it is very similar to the way I would go. I think best thing to do is to paint up a tester using this method and make any alterations you see fit. I think skin on the wings will be biggest area of challenge but will also be the bit that pops the best. 

Thanks - the problem is I've really no idea where to start with the wings. Basic colours aren't too bad as I can use the GW app - though even its somewhat limited in scope and I think as its mostly based on one or two methods of painting it can also be rather heavy on the number of layers required.  It also doesn't factor in other methods of getting colour effects and I think some areas might well require a different method of application or layering. 

Maybe try having a look at some different winged models on google such as tyranids gargoyles, vargheists to see if you can get inspiration.

You could try a drybrush with an all over glaze to bring the colours closer together. You could maybe even introduce some oranges if you wanted to go bright. Or maybe try a bit of stippling with a shade at the edges with reikland (or any shade really) over a skin or even bone colour. I did this when I followed the mortarion guide from warhammertv and was quite pleased with the results and used it on smaller nurgling wings as well. You could always stipple a lighter tone and then use a darker tone to Transition to a darker colour towards the edge. I think it is best to decide on a look and rough colour you want and go for it.

I have thought that orange would be a decent colour to consider for the wing membrane. A darker orange would work well with the red and black and metals of the model and it also helps the model not just be "all red everywhere" which is something I've been keen to try and avoid, esp as I've aimed for the core body to be reddy in tone on the skin. 

Aye, the real trick is the choices of paints to make as sometimes its not just a case of various shades of the same colour.  I'm wondering if working with a fire effect of orange might work on the wings - ergo using a similar scheme of paint choices even though I'm painting membrane instead of fire 

Reikland on the other hand might make it more orangey if youre into that, agrax will mostly just darken it.

edit: Didnt even read the whole thing properly O.o but if its really like a copper youre going for, id try the reikland atleast somewhere before agrax

Archived