Let's Chat: Legion of Night

MrCharisma

Total-War-Warhammer-747x309.jpg

Alright, I'm seeing a load of threads posted on TGA and thought it would be great to consolidate our LoNight insights.

I'm a long time Warhammer player, first time Death player. I'll kick the thread off with my current list.

The general idea behind my army is for the Vamp Lord, her 2 Terrorgheists, and 9 Vargheists to Ambush... the bats to summon, and the skeletons and direwolves will either summon/hold objectives/challenge across the board.

I'm not 100% on my artefacts. Would love feedback and ideas on what you see.

Allegiance: Legion of Night
Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Vampiric Sword & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact : Cursed Book
- Lore of the Vampires : Vile Transference
Units
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
-Ancient Blades
9 x Vargheists (480)
Behemoths
Terrorgheist (300)
Terrorgheist (300)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 1/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 3/4 Artillery: 0/4

I also need to expand this army out to 2,500pts for an upcoming tournament.

I'm loving the ambush theme of legion of night but I'm finding it hard to pull off effectively.  Your list seems solid but what about general trait and isn't cursed book a basic death artefact?

The biggest issues we face as legion of night is that it is pretty simple to block our ambushes from being effective.  That said I am leaning more towards a tomb banshee than terrorghiest for the ambush scream attack.  Same damage potential but a fraction of the cost plus it's a hero so gets the death save and grants it and you can ambush a unit of something in your opponents face at the same time.  

2 hours ago, Gumbalina said:

I'm loving the ambush theme of legion of night but I'm finding it hard to pull off effectively.  Your list seems solid but what about general trait and isn't cursed book a basic death artefact?

The biggest issues we face as legion of night is that it is pretty simple to block our ambushes from being effective.  That said I am leaning more towards a tomb banshee than terrorghiest for the ambush scream attack.  Same damage potential but a fraction of the cost plus it's a hero so gets the death save and grants it and you can ambush a unit of something in your opponents face at the same time.  

Ignore the Cursed Book, warscroll builder messed up with the export. I don't know what artifact I want to run though. 

Interesting call out about the ambush rules. I'm yet to try this so it's all theory hammer at the moment. 

I'm looking at the Terrorgheist for raw power. In a prior life I was running the Flesh Eater Courts Royal Menagerie batallions, so I want to see what works better. 

What are you running ATM?

I'm still trying to find the list as I've only had a handful of games.  I think a banshee ambush with a gravesite next to each edge can be a good tactic as if the banshee is in range of 2 grave sites you can summon from each one per hero in range according to the FAQ.  

currently leaning towards 

Vampire Lord on zombie dragon, shield, chalice, lance, shard of night, pinions

Coven throne, general, orb, swift form

Necromancer, fading vigour 

Banshee 

40 skeletons swords

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves 

2 morghasts harbingers

3 vargheists 

10 hexwraiths

1990pts

From ambush alone I can get most of the army in striking distance turn one.  Banshee ambushes and summons hexwraiths one one side, harbingers aim to cause disruption and ideally ambush next to banshee for a death save in case the charge fails zombie dragon can ambush or fly up if it wants or even have the necromancers ambush mid field and drop of the skeletons on the other side.  

I was thinking of ambushing 60 zombies and a vamp Lord general with the unholy impetus trait.

This gives me a cheap throwaway unit with 3 atacks each at 3+ 3+, maybe even vanhels if in range. If my enemy isn't carefull I can deploy them almost in a line on the back of his trops, maximizing the engaged models.

If he stays back to avoid this deployment, I can just take the objectives on the board, or threaten from the front with fast moving units.

Thoughts?

Archived