Airbrush Resources for Beginners?

MechaBriZilla

Hi everyone, I'm hoping the community can help me out a bit here.

I got an airbrush for Christmas, and I'd like to start using it, but I'm a bit nervous about getting started.

Can anyone recommend some resources for someone looking to learn airbrushing?  Mainly looking for beginner resources, but really any resources are appreciated.

I'm not that far ahead of you, I got mine for my birthday in the middle of last year! I can give you some starter advice which is just to practice on some line infantry (like skellies or bloodletters) that are airbrush friendly and won't look too bad if you much it up. Bloodletters are super easy to airbrush btw.

As for resources, uncle atom is a good go to for a starter guide: 

Youtube is pretty great for tips and tricks generally.

A few newbie things I've learned:

1. Clean your brush after every session. Trust me, being disciplined is really important. It takes ten minutes and can save you an hour or more of trying to scour the brush from end to end.

2. Don't start the air with the brush pointed at the mini, since if you have a little paint stopped up in the air cap it'll shoot out and hit the mini.

3. Get some q-tips and some vinyl gloves. The gloves will save you a lot of hand scrubbing. The q tips are useful for every aspect of cleaning and to clean the tip when you get some paint drying on it.

4. When you clean out the brush after a paint color use airbrush cleaner to clear the brush and then put water through after that so you're not shooting cleaner onto your mini on the next coat (learned this the hard way). 

5. Similarly to above when cleaning the brush at the end of a session use airbrush cleaner as the last thing you blow through so you don't have any water left in the brush at the end of the session.

Airbrushing isn't to hard to get into but there are a few things that can catch you out. Good luck!

Hi @MechaBriZilla Check out my thread "My first 3 months with an airbrush" It might make you less nervous to get stuck in. You can get some nice results with a bit of patience and not much skill!!

I'm just learning by trial and error so can't give much in the way of technical advice but the thread might give you an idea of the kind of progression to aim for in terms of what you attempt to do with it. Even if you just use it to prime things black and then give them a grey zenithal highlight before going to a standard paintbrush you will find you minis look better right away.

I would also recommend Vince Venturella's "Hobby Cheating" videos on his YouTube channel. Loads of great advice if you are trying to improve the standard of your painting. Brush or airbrush.

All the advice above is also good! I would add one thing to cleaning. Blow a few fills of water through before you start with the cleaning fluid - otherwise you will use a ton of fluid. Also when you clean dried paint from the cup with a cotton bud (q-tip) TIP IT OUT. Don't try and blow it through the nozzle else the little chunks of dried paint will clog it.

I leave a couple of drops of cleaner in the brush when I put it away and then first thing I do before using it is blow some thinner through.

I feel like I made a lot of progress quite quickly so best advice i can give you is just start using it

Archived