In Praise of Open Play

Mr. White

(This is not a thread to compare the different play-styles of AoS or competitive vs casual play...it is simply for folks to comment on what it is they enjoy about Open Play)

I received the new Blood Bowl box set for Christmas and have promptly looked to recreated my classic 3rd ed orc team, The Badlands Blitz. However, I'm not a fan of the current GW BB troll. The throwing pose isn't what I have in mind for our big guy.

I do like the look of the plastic Fellwater Troggoths though, and have some Ironjawz bitz that will be perfect to use as a BB kit on a troggoth. Thing is, these troggoths come in a pack of three. BB Teams only field one troll...

Lucky for me, GW has three modes of play and I can simply use the other two troggoths for Skirmish or Open Play Destruction warbands. This is fantastic. If AoS was a points only sort of deal, then I would have less than the minimum required for a troggoth unit. With Open Play, GW allows the gamers to decide what comprises their force...not forced simply by how the models are packaged and sold.

I love it.

Long live Open Play!

My favorite thing about Open Play is that there's no formal structure to interfere with whatever scenario/story/set-up you want to enjoy.

I personally enjoy spending a few minutes coming up with the story for a game, and then being able to jump right into it. 

The lack of emphasis on game balance (I mean parity between the two players' forces) is awesome. I think game balance is overrated, a lot of the time, and not strictly necessary for the players to enjoy a game. 

5 hours ago, Ulf said:

My favorite thing about Open Play is that there's no formal structure to interfere with whatever scenario/story/set-up you want to enjoy.

This. Easy way, interesting enough, as you choose. What can be best? Like "I want to see your 20 ogre bulls pitched against my 50 stormvermins. If you win, I buy you a Kölsch. " And then you have a perfect fun because a unit of ogres was ambushed by some Skaven clan wishing to take their bodies to the charnel pits and mortuary factories of the Moulder clan.

Open play is great among friends and people that you, especially when it takes a narrative turn. But man was it tough to organize pick up games with people  at the local shop with out some vague point of reference to get somewhat balanced(oh, I brought a start collecting IronJawz with an extra unit of brutes, and you brought 4 blood thirsters and 400 bloodletters). But even now for casual game I still use points a guideline to add a basic semblance of balance and am cool with "discounting" under strength units and not too concerned with battle lines or at the very least counting all conditional battle lines as just battleline, so go ahead and bring your ironjawz and spiderfang grots together.

So for just sit down and play games, I like 'em pretty open, but points are some decent guard rails. Of course narrative games are great to throw everything out the window. "You sit there in that fort with your 500 Dwarfs and I'll be over here summoning unlimited daemons and sending them in waves every turn".

Archived