Christmas Project - Bloodthirster

RuneBrush

For Christmas, I'd originally planned to paint up some Necromunda models but have been struggling to find the love for painting anything 30/40k related.  So I decided to consult my list of projects and pick something off there - with the explicit intention of avoiding anything for my Khorne army (I've got over 2k painted, why do I need more).

Suffice to say I ended up painting a Bloodthirster, something that wasn't on my list and is for my Khorne army :S  Sometimes you just got to go with what you fancy!

I've actually made pretty good progress, despite making a lot of it up!

DSfGEjVWkAAe8mB.jpg:large DSfGFu4W0AAB7aV.jpg:large DSfGG5yWkAErpKv.jpg:large DSfGIDFWAAEtVLU.jpg:large

I've still a few bits left.  The hooves need to be highlighted up and the bone blades on the hooves need repainting - really not happy with how they look (I always struggle with knowing how to paint this type of item).  I can then give the whole thing a quick matt varnish (along with the wings).  Then it'll be the metallic edge highlighting.

Armour panels and horns I've not got a clue on how I'm going to paint up, I've left all bar one armour panel off as it made painting easier, but unsure as to if I should go for a Khorne Red and brass armour, black and brass or something entirely different?

Managed to get a few more hours on my Bloodthirster.  I've done the horns and hooves, he's been given a matt varnish and all of the metallic edge highlights done.  I've also done a couple of the armour panels on the model and started on the one's I left off.  Going for a dark silver and brass colour which hopefully should tie everything together.  Left to do, I've the remaining armour panels (edge highlighting on the foot panels too) and the horns on the foot armour.  Then just the eyes and tongue!

Oh, and the base :S  Bit of a pain I glued him on in truth!

DS-II3xX4AYlGHG.jpg:large 

DS-IJsaX4AINlyU.jpg:large DS-IK3OWkAExUc0.jpg:large

Happy to say that I have almost finished the Bloodthirster's main paint job.  I forgot to take pictures of the wings, but just have one more drybrush on them and the horn bits, I then need some decent weather to undercoat the whip and job's a good 'un!

DTSi9XGW4AADC5e.jpg:large

DTSi-SWW4AARtgT.jpg:large

DTSi937W0AEtmWW.jpg:large

Fantastic mate! I have the same box here and have something special planned. Your progression and close ups are awesome so I'm looking very forward to the end result.

The Bloodthirster remains one of the coolest models in GW's range!

Cheers,

31 minutes ago, Killax said:

Fantastic mate! I have the same box here and have something special planned. Your progression and close ups are awesome so I'm looking very forward to the end result.

The Bloodthirster remains one of the coolest models in GW's range!

Cheers, the Bloodthirster is a pretty decent kit - goes together pretty well and paints up surprisingly nicely.  If you can get away with having the armour panels glued in place I'd do that - they were a pain in the proverbial to glue into place after the fact!  I've got a FW one at home too that I really should think about painting up at some point

Thanks, I've been formulating how I fancied painting everything for a while now so it's nice to know that what I had in my head did actually work for other people too :D  Hadn't thought about glazing the veins, but that's not a bad shout, probably push the highlight a little bit too.

Archived