First time trying kharadons

Bethorina

Hi everyone so my gf bought the kharadron battleforce and she is enjoying them very muchly and have been working towards a 2k list just wanted people's opinions 

Idea is organ guns and 1 arkanut company stay in the back protecting the artillery while the frigates loaded with everything else move forward 

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Leaders
Cogsmith (100)
- Allies
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks

Units
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 2x Drill Cannons
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (100)
- 1x Aethershot Rifles
- 1x Aetheric Fumigators
- 1x Decksweepers
- 1x Aethercannons
- 1x Grundstok Mortars

War Machines
Organ Gun (120)
- Allies
Organ Gun (120)
- Allies
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
Grundstok Gunhauler (220)
- Main Gun: Sky Cannon

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 340 / 400
Wounds: 103

Hey Bethorina! I've not got much experience with the faction yet but there's a couple of things I've noticed you can do to improve what you have.

- Run your Arkanauts with one weapon choice. Have one using 3x skypikes, one using 3x skyhooks and the last using the volley guns. This makes buffing them with the Khemist much more appealing as the ability only applies to one weapon in a squad.

- The strength of Endrinriggers really seems to be in their melee weapons and you have no grapnels to reliably get them into combat. Instead, I'd recommend making them skywardens and giving them drill cannons too. That gives you 80 points spare in total to play with, so with a little moving around you might be able to bump the squad to 9 and include another drill cannon :) 

1 hour ago, J.J said:

Hey Bethorina! I've not got much experience with the faction yet but there's a couple of things I've noticed you can do to improve what you have.

- Run your Arkanauts with one weapon choice. Have one using 3x skypikes, one using 3x skyhooks and the last using the volley guns. This makes buffing them with the Khemist much more appealing as the ability only applies to one weapon in a squad.

- The strength of Endrinriggers really seems to be in their melee weapons and you have no grapnels to reliably get them into combat. Instead, I'd recommend making them skywardens and giving them drill cannons too. That gives you 80 points spare in total to play with, so with a little moving around you might be able to bump the squad to 9 and include another drill cannon :) 

That fair hadnt really. Though about the arkanut thing but we have our minds set on edinriggers and they will be on a frigate so by turn 2 plus their movement they should easily be able to charge with no worries was more thinking the chemist for the edinriggers make their saws +1 atk 

1 hour ago, Bethorina said:

Well why not take 1 drill cannon and 1 grape launcher that way it the best of both worlds? 

Grapnels only work on a 4+, so if you have 2 in the unit you get 2 attempts at that 4+.  Depends how you want to play them really but if you do have grapnels you want 2.

On the frigates, most folks tend to jump everything out of them turn 1, its not often you will want to leave units in a boat as you are missing out on potential killing or grabbing objectives. That 10" extra movement of the boat sounds good but flying them undefended towards your opponent lets them surround the boat and kill it (and hence potentially kill everything in it too). Youd only want to do that if you had confidence they couldnt get at the boats, which means either shooting everything off the board in range (so youll probably need everyone out the boat to do it), or using your riggers as a screen which is a waste of their strengths.  Its a shame as its so cinematic flying laden ships at the enemey, but sadly its not a way you can play very often.  If youve not got a 2nd frigate yet id hold off until you are certain you want it. I do like my little frigate, just i think 2 (and a gunhauler) might be a bit much.

Check out the Lets chat Kharadron thread, lots of ideas and discussion there to read (maybe start at pg40 rather than read all 50 pages though xD)

2 hours ago, stato said:

Grapnels only work on a 4+, so if you have 2 in the unit you get 2 attempts at that 4+.  Depends how you want to play them really but if you do have grapnels you want 2.

On the frigates, most folks tend to jump everything out of them turn 1, its not often you will want to leave units in a boat as you are missing out on potential killing or grabbing objectives. That 10" extra movement of the boat sounds good but flying them undefended towards your opponent lets them surround the boat and kill it (and hence potentially kill everything in it too). Youd only want to do that if you had confidence they couldnt get at the boats, which means either shooting everything off the board in range (so youll probably need everyone out the boat to do it), or using your riggers as a screen which is a waste of their strengths.  Its a shame as its so cinematic flying laden ships at the enemey, but sadly its not a way you can play very often.  If youve not got a 2nd frigate yet id hold off until you are certain you want it. I do like my little frigate, just i think 2 (and a gunhauler) might be a bit much.

Check out the Lets chat Kharadron thread, lots of ideas and discussion there to read (maybe start at pg40 rather than read all 50 pages though xD)

Thanks for the useful advice however my tol Potato has decided one the list now xD she wants to keep the drill cannons on and she has already got the second frigate, as for the boats we know if they get swarmed everything dies but this game is all strategy and positioning preparing for priority rolls :P so with carefully positioning everything shouldn't get swarmed it just turn one dropping out of the ships with a 7-8 inch move on a barge just doesn't sound great but she and I haven't tried it yet so looking forward to playing it also she don't know it though but I already ordered the organ guns for Xmas for her hehe :P@stato

43 minutes ago, Bethorina said:

Thanks for the useful advice however my tol Potato has decided one the list now xD she wants to keep the drill cannons on and she has already got the second frigate, as for the boats we know if they get swarmed everything dies but this game is all strategy and positioning preparing for priority rolls :P so with carefully positioning everything shouldn't get swarmed it just turn one dropping out of the ships with a 7-8 inch move on a barge just doesn't sound great but she and I haven't tried it yet so looking forward to playing it also she don't know it though but I already ordered the organ guns for Xmas for her hehe :P@stato

Excellent stuff, you can always add a few extra units in the future to mix the list around.  Good to see someone sticking with frigates though, I prefer the look of them to Ironclads, reminds me I need to build up the second I still have in its box for our hex campaign next year.

32 minutes ago, FractalRain said:

Well have fun with the list and I'm sure she'll enjoy them!  The nice thing is you can always change things around after games have been played etc.  :)

Exactly :3 hoping the organ guns should perform well in terms of helping anti horde stuff or even anti anything aiming loading 3 barrels each turn for 4d6 shots a turn :) plus the cogsmith will allow us to reroll the results if needed 

2 hours ago, stato said:

Excellent stuff, you can always add a few extra units in the future to mix the list around.  Good to see someone sticking with frigates though, I prefer the look of them to Ironclads, reminds me I need to build up the second I still have in its box for our hex campaign next year.

Defo and get that thing built :P

Organ guns and drill cannons are a great way of picking out an enemy leader and blasting them to pieces.  Company aren't very good at close combat but they can hold stuff up for a turn or two.  I'd recommend putting 3 skypikes in a unit of 10 and have those be the company that guard the artillery.

3 hours ago, Mikester1487 said:

Organ guns and drill cannons are a great way of picking out an enemy leader and blasting them to pieces.  Company aren't very good at close combat but they can hold stuff up for a turn or two.  I'd recommend putting 3 skypikes in a unit of 10 and have those be the company that guard the artillery.

Thanks for the advice the first appreciation of the organ guns :3 hehe but seriously I think we are going that way with the company's tbh one in the back to stop deep strike shinangans and to screen the organ guns and then the others going forward in the frigates :3

Archived