Stormcast for Call to War

Chris Tomlin

Hey there boys & girls,

At present my only fully painted and tournament ready AoS army is my s**tspeedpainted Stormcast Eternal army (though I will be improving the painting during a campaign later this year). So with Call to War coming up this weekend, I'll be talking my golden boys for another run out.

I painted this army up for the South Coast GT in April, where they performed as I expected getting 4/6 wins. I am hopeful of replicating that again this weekend, although with it being a smaller field, the chances of playing stronger players is larger (not saying anyone I played at SCGT wasn't, I had 6 tough games!!).

This is the list I've submitted;

1x Lord Celestant on Stardrake (1) - 28

1x Lord Celestant on Dracoth (1) - 10

1x Lord Castellant (1) - 5

1x Knight Vexillor (1) - 12

1x Knight Venator (1) - 7

1x Knight Heraldor (1) - 7

3x Concussors (3) - 21

1x Tempestor (1) - 6

2x Judicators (10) - 16

3x Liberators (15) - 15

2x Paladin Retributors (10) - 20

1x Gryph Hound (1) - 1

Total 148

I'll come back after the weekend and let you know how it all went!

Chris x

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:29 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

...performed as I expected getting 4/6 wins. I am hopeful of replicating that again this weekend

Yeh...so...that didn't happen.

I had a good weekend with 6 great games. All of them were very close and competitive, no one sided smashes or anything. Very few crazy dice spikes or good/bad luck. I also think I played reasonably well in the games and wasn't kicking myself afterwards bemoaning poor decisions etc.

So with that said, my record was 1 win, 2 draws and 3 losses, leaving me in 31st place out of 36 entrants!! Utterly crazy. Not really sure how it happened, such fine margins in all the games. Even the ones I didn't lose could easily have gone the other way and I'd have had no complaint. Its a very peculiar situation as I really can't pinpoint what went "wrong" as oddly it doesn't feel like much did.

I've done a lot lot better in other Tournaments and have come away way more disappointed than this, so I am not at all dejected by my abysmal placing! I think it helps that I played 6 great guys, all with strong armies but a good mind-set going into the games. Overall I was very impressed with the level of play and the strength of the armies at the event. There were no "weak" lists I saw, but also there was good variety across the armies in attendance.

I'll do some brief reports on the games as part of the next podcast episode (www.theblacksun.co.uk - Episode 93 will be out on Sunday) as I find that's a better media than text. But just to let you know what I played;

Mark Caseley - Death (Arkhan, 8 Morghasts, Terrorgheist, Necrosphinx, Catapult, stuff)

Ian Ralph - Order (10 Retributors, 10 Protectors, 4 Concussors, Judicators, Vexillor, stuff)

Patrick Rance - Order (Slann, 2 Engines, 2 Bastiladons, Saurus Guard, 10 Judicators, stuff)

Liam Cook - Chaos (Skyre tunnelling Battalion - 6 Stormfiends, Deceiver, 4 Warpfire Throwers, Ikit, all the scoring units)

Dave Roberts - Order (Prime, 10 Retributors, 4 Concussors, 10 Judicators, stuff)

Karl Breakspear - Death (Manfred, 4 Morghasts, Mourngul, Mortis Engine, 9 Spirit Hosts, Catapult, Hexwraiths, stuff)

So yeah, some nice lists there for sure. Every one of my opponents played to the Battleplan as well (rather than just trying to smash), which was nice to see and makes a big difference in the competitive side of the game (In a really good way).

Overall - rubbish personal results, but literally no complaints. Just wasn't to be for me this weekend!! :D 

Congrats to all the winners!

46 minutes ago, Ian R said:

Really ejoyed our mirror match Chris. I did bad too coming 28 th, but when you have some close, fun games it kinda matters much less.  

Yeh I agree completely. I talked about it in reasonable depth last night whilst recording the podcast (will be out Sunday). All my games could've ended differently, be it a win to me in the ones I lost, or a loss in the ones I drew or won.

I guess for me and where I'm at with my Warhammer currently, that's about as much as I can ask for; fun, engaging, close games. I'm more than happy with that, regardless of the result.

And again, thanks for the game it was very good indeed. I would certainly put that loss down to a superior deployment on your part (not that I think mine was bad or anything) and savvy play with the Prosecutors, but again it was close and I never felt out of the game until I was!! I'll get you next time! ;) 

Mark Caseley - Death (Arkhan, 8 Morghasts, Terrorgheist, Necrosphinx, Catapult, stuff)

Ian Ralph - Order (10 Retributors, 10 Protectors, 4 Concussors, Judicators, Vexillor, stuff)

Patrick Rance - Order (Slann, 2 Engines, 2 Bastiladons, Saurus Guard, 10 Judicators, stuff)

Liam Cook - Chaos (Skyre tunnelling Battalion - 6 Stormfiends, Deceiver, 4 Warpfire Throwers, Ikit, all the scoring units)

Dave Roberts - Order (Prime, 10 Retributors, 4 Concussors, 10 Judicators, stuff)

Karl Breakspear - Death (Manfred, 4 Morghasts, Mourngul, Mortis Engine, 9 Spirit Hosts, Catapult, Hexwraiths, stuff)

You didn't exactly have a bunny run - some pretty competitive looking lists out there.

I hope every Order list bringing 15 Judicators (3 units) to satisfy their Battleline requirements doesn't become a thing in the GH (I see the Seraphon doing it already above).

On 05/07/2016 at 3:47 PM, Nico said:

I hope every Order list bringing 15 Judicators (3 units) to satisfy their Battleline requirements doesn't become a thing in the GH (I see the Seraphon doing it already above).

I think they will, mainly thanks to being able to have Shockbolts on the Prime. I wouldn't be surprised to see people comping shooting or saying you can't have rare weapons on unit leaders unless it specifically mentions it.

@Chris Tomlin Sorry to hear about the result but as mentioned, you didn't get an easy time looking at the lists. Can't wait for the episode to hear how you got on

@Nico @Gaz Taylor

Cheers guys,

Yeh some tough armies there for sure, but mine wasn't exactly the softest. I have no complaints. As I say it was a great weekends gaming, just the results didn't quite go my way at the business end. Hey ho! No need for commiserations, it was a satisfying weekend at the table.

3x Judicators fulfilling battleline is something we will be seeing a lot of. By far and a way the best battleline unit that doesn't require a specific allegiance. I think going Liberators and Prosecutors for Stormcast would've been a more sensible decision for over all game balance.

Archived