Thanquol and bone ripper help

Oldmanlee

2 hours ago, Oldmanlee said:

Hi all 

has anyone used thanquol and bone ripper to good effect in match play or is he as bad as he seems ?

The only way I have seen him used is with the Verminlord Deceiver.  Use the Verminlord's Skitterleap spell (which casts on a 4 by the way) and teleport Than and Boneripper close to the most important target then unload with his Warpfire Projectors and two spells.  Instant mortal wound alpha strike.  The problem of course being that this package costs quite a bit and is a little random with the 2d6 roll, but I can attest that it is pretty fun. 

In the past Sayl + Stormfiends was much more point efficient, but with the loss of Sayl, a Deceiver + Boneripper combo may be quite ok for casual games. In more competitive games, however, this would be pretty much half your army pushed into 2 models (considering a 2k list), so it'll get shot off the table far too easily. Perhaps if this model went down by 100 or 150 points it would be playable.

I use a thanquol deceiver combo. I have many alternate lists but this is one i do like. I agree it isnt the most competitive simply because it isnt consistent. Skitterleap thanqol (which casts on a 3 btw, not 4 as mentioned before), and if thanquol rolls something like 10 or 11 on 2d6, totally worth it! But if you skitterleap him and he rolls a 3 then gets rolled over and instant loss of 450 pts, then totally not worth it. 

Archived