Starting an Archaon Army

Feahitor28

Hey guys! I'm looking into starting an Archaon based army and where should I start beyond Archaon and some Varanguard. It looks like I need to pack as many command abilities into the army. So I'm thinkin so A Harbinger of Decay and a Slannesh lord. Beyond that, what other characters would work well? Do you guy's think I should wait for the general's handbook and see what pts units are befor I pull the trigger and buy up the army? 

Thanks!

If you plan to play only with a point base, then yes, wait for the handbook (or just look at the leaked pictures).

I would suggest the Mighty lord of Khorne, allowing to charge with 3d6 (discarding the worst) and adding his mighty weapon to the fight. Also, since Archaon is already 700 points (am I right?), I guess you'll play 2000 points at least, therefore you can play up to 6 heroes, but you need to put at least 3 battleline units in your army.

Most of the points have been revealed so you can have a pretty good punt at what else you fancy fielding.  Looking from a purely thematic point of view, I'd suggest a couple of units of Chaos Warriors and possible Knights.  They'll tie up visually with the Varanguard and give you a pretty solid core which you can then add other units into.  One of the nice things about Archaon is that you can quite comfortably have a bit of everything in it, though I'd always try and balance things out so your army doesn't lean too heavily towards one Chaos diety

Thanks guys! Chaos warriors are definitely going to be in. I love the idea of a hoard of different units. Is the slaves to darkness starter box good idea? I would definitely use all the model's. I can't decide on the chariot. Gore beast or regular. Gore beast one looks like it could deliver a lot of damage and it looks awesome! 

I am going to pick up Archoan at some point.. that model is incredible.

I would recommend the Slaves to Darkness starter box, everything you get in it is worth the points.

Chaos Chariots can go faster then a Gorebeast and work a flank better, Gorebeast chariots well.. just smash things up, a lot less finesse involved!

Archived