Savage Orruk Big Stabba

mrstimpson38

Question

Two Orruks carrying a Big Stabba between them counts as one model with two wounds.

So does that mean that if I choose to use a Big Stabba in my unit of 10, I can't legally field a full unit of 10 out of a single kit? Does it mean that if I buy two kits and assemble them with Big Stabbas then I only have 18 models and not only is the unit not legal (SCGT), but the unit does not benefit from the Frenzied Mob ability that activates if the unit has 20 or more models? If this is the case, why isn't GW putting 11 Savage Orruks in a single kit? Seems like a massive oversight.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

7 answers to this question

Start of the Warscroll; "For every 10 savage orruks in the unit, two may carry a big stabba between them". So technically *yes*, your unit now only has nine models, but you had to have 10 in the first place in order to drop to 9.

Clear as mud?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd have said it's still SCGT legal.  The unit starts off at 10 models at unit selection stage (which is where you allocate the SCGT points).  The alternative would be that you're actually increasing your wound count by 1 for that unit which in theory should increase the cost of that unit.

You're not going to benefit from Frenzied Mob ability though as the model count on the table is 9, in the same way as you would loose it by taking casualties.

I think the number of models in the box can easily be explained in that the sprues were designed prior to AoS - although the cynical might say it's GW wanting you to purchase more than one box ;)  Also in GW's base rules you don't need to add models in multiples - that's something that (currently) is unique to using SCGT or similar selection.

I'm not sure I like how Big Stabbas work with the way that the generals handbook handles unit points. If I want to run a unit of 30, with three Big Stabbas and a full 30 models (so +3 models) I'll have to pay the full price of 40 models.

13 hours ago, mrstimpson38 said:

I'm not sure I like how Big Stabbas work with the way that the generals handbook handles unit points. If I want to run a unit of 30, with three Big Stabbas and a full 30 models (so +3 models) I'll have to pay the full price of 40 models.

That's not how I understand it works.  You pay for a unit of 30.  You now perform your upgrades, converting six models into three Big Stabba models (with 2 wounds each).  This matches how you make a box up (8 Orukks and 1 Big Stabba).  The way you describe it, you're doing the upgrades before you pay the points for the unit.  If you wanted to run 30 bases on the table then you'd need to pay for a unit of 33 (i.e. 40) and then do the upgrade.

That's not how I understand it works.  You pay for a unit of 30.  You now perform your upgrades, converting six models into three Big Stabba models (with 2 wounds each).  This matches how you make a box up (8 Orukks and 1 Big Stabba).  The way you describe it, you're doing the upgrades before you pay the points for the unit.  If you wanted to run 30 bases on the table then you'd need to pay for a unit of 33 (i.e. 40) and then do the upgrade.

We're on the same page. I think I just worded it a bit wonky. I guess if I ran three units I'd still get 7 models over the 20 cut off, so that's not too bad. It just messes with my OCD a bit.

edit: your first post definitely cleared it up for me. thanks for that.

14 hours ago, mrstimpson38 said:

We're on the same page. I think I just worded it a bit wonky. I guess if I ran three units I'd still get 7 models over the 20 cut off, so that's not too bad. It just messes with my OCD a bit.

edit: your first post definitely cleared it up for me. thanks for that.

Cool.  AoS seems to almost have it's own "language structure" a bit like you get in things like legal or quality assurance documentation :)

I actually asked to GW.   This is their answer. The " counts as a single model with 2 wounds" is more for combat purposes than unit composition really.

So you can have with one box 10 orruks in which 2 of them carry one big stabba. So you have 10 orruks for composition and 9 models for combat purposes. This is how I interpreted the text at the beginning. 

They proposed me to send an email to their FAQ team, which I did.

It makes more sense like this than to buy 2 boxes just to get the 10 orruks on the table. 

Archived