Mortis Engine - is it much use?

Darth Alec

I love the model, and I'm going to build one. But I keep hearing how useless it is. Is that just in comparison to the Coven Throne? I see casting support, screech support and a possible damage bomb rolled into one package. 

Has anyone tried it? Fought it? I'd love to hear some opinions.

It's decent for its cost.

It synergises well with an army of Morghasts and big heroes. It synergises especially well with Settra as it will then pump out 4 mortal wounds minimum in melee.

The Coven Throne is pretty average. The reroll is handy. Again it synergises well with Settra. The spell is good against low bravery (hello Ogres). The Command Ability is simply bad though.

Mortis engine is a good second wind for big nasty armies. Coven thrones, Zombie dragons, Morghast, and other high wound count units like to for the heal that go a long way on these units. This unit also does a decent job of tar pitting after you throw the requiary. That said it wont consistantly poor out mortal wounds. One reason being it must activate it's wail of the damned in the hero phase and not in the shooting. It also works well with your mages.  

If you bring the mortis engine though bring it with the maligant formation, and then it set up savage level plays.

Coven throne is a Tarpit. While lower leader ship it does better 11+ (where 10 is the highest bravery you can get??) is a 50% chance. agasint most enemits you've got 75% shot to go off. This lets you take troublesome models out of the game. If you fail you move 14" away no problem. Also the throne puts out about as much damage as neferata (ignoring spells of course). Nef gets more rend, but the throne give an extra mortal wound.  While, most comp scores put the coven throne at half the price as Nef. 

Way i see it if i already have a Vamp lord on zombie dragon or other general i'd take the coven throne for the savings as both would end up doing pretty much the same thing anyway, and the throne would do the tarpit thing much better. 

I run both the throne and Mortis engine and things go quite well. Think i've only lost 1 game??? that said i'm new and have only played....14 games???

Yeah, and i think if i played against one i'd ignore it too. I think i said some whre else. It's basicly you either make a infernal standard army where you have a large number of models who can get a 6+ save, or a Mortis engine army where you have a few big fatty models who want a nice heal.

• 3 weeks later...

I love it! 

I run a zombie focused horde and the Mortis Engine provides some much needed mortal wounds to the army. Zombies flood the board with a high nu,ber of normal attacks (WHich I call paper cuts) and I start the game by pointing the Mortis Engine at a target where mortal wounds would be best and let it fly like a missle.

11 hours ago, DeGriggs said:

I love it! 

I run a zombie focused horde and the Mortis Engine provides some much needed mortal wounds to the army. Zombies flood the board with a high nu,ber of normal attacks (WHich I call paper cuts) and I start the game by pointing the Mortis Engine at a target where mortal wounds would be best and let it fly like a missle.

I do the same thing. Mortis engine is qutie nice in the horde army as it has nothing but shooting to fear, and it takes a good chunk of shooting totake it down anyway.

• 3 years later...

Use one a lot, it’s great as a distraction piece away from VLoZd. Also great as a mobile healing platform and once per game Nuke. It puts out a reasonable bit of tarpit ability, ISNT awful in a fight, buffs casting which is super handy. It also moves quick enough to keep up with your big gribblies.  But perhaps it’s best use, is as a sort of mobile wall / blocking piece to severely limit the amount of models that opponents can put into contact with said protected gribblies. It’s very good for the points, and in my experience it rarely disappoints.

On 6/21/2016 at 8:56 AM, mmimzie said:

That said it wont consistantly poor out mortal wounds. One reason being it must activate it's wail of the damned in the hero phase and not in the shooting.

Wail of the Damned is a missile attack and therefore happens in the shooting phase. 🙂

Btw, I think it's weird that Lady Olynder's version of Wail of the Damned is not a missile attack even though it also happens in the shooting phase. That's a pretty substantial buff seeing how, as an ability instead of a missile attack, you can use it after running and retreating.

Edited by The_Dudemeister

14 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

Wail of the Damned is a missile attack and therefore happens in the shooting phase. 🙂

Btw, I think it's weird that Lady Olynder's version of Wail of the Damned is not a missile attack even though it also happens in the shooting phase. That's a pretty substantial buff seeing how, as an ability instead of a missile attack, you can use it after running and retreating.

Yeah it is now. That post is 3 years old. The rules have changed.

Edited by mmimzie